What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York Times Says iPad Mini is “By Far the Best iPad.â€

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a heavy book reader though I am a heavy reader. The only advantage of the larger iPad is its screen, but even I can live without it. The screen isn't that much smaller either, but try holding the regular iPad in your hands for even an hour.....it's too heavy. And I can read the screen just fine....I have it sitting in my lap right now outside my doctors office while waiting for them to open. I guess if have vision issues you might have an issue....but at read just fine at this distance....even without retina.

Weight is a factor for me only on the go, which is why I got a Samsung Galaxy Note 5" phablet nearly a year before mini iPad came out. For me, the Note is more portable. At home, weight isn't a factor, because I use a stand. (My absolute favorite: Amazon.com: LEVO Deluxe iPad Floor Stand for all iPads Galaxy Xoom Nook and Other eBooks and Tablets: Electronics.)

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
I've been test driving the Mini at my local Apple store since it arrived. Don't have enough green on hand at the moment but it's my next tablet.
If my iPad 2 burns or I chose to retire and gift it, I'll opt for a mini - especially for its "incredible lightness of being." ;)

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love my iPad mini, it's great for reading books and the size is perfect for out-of-the-house use. However, I have to agree with other posters here in that screen size and weight depend entirely on personal taste. My next Apple device will be the iPad 4.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my iPad mini, it's great for reading books and the size is perfect for out-of-the-house use. However, I have to agree with other posters here in that screen size and weight depend entirely on personal taste. My next Apple device will be the iPad 4.
Good points here! Next....will be....iPad 4. You may need to be quick or you'll end up with the iPad 5 :D
Regards,Andrew

tim coleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I owned all three, and by that I mean iPhone, iPad mini and iPad, I would leave the iPad at home most of the time as its just too heavy. Ask me the same question in a years time when an iPad weighs the same as a mini and is half as thick, I might give you a different answer.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good points here! Next....will be....iPad 4. You may need to be quick or you'll end up with the iPad 5 :D
Regards,Andrew

What do you think they will come up with to make 5 more new and improved than 4?? More storage? Will cost a fortune though.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
What do you think they will come up with to make 5 more new and improved than 4?? More storage? Will cost a fortune though.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

A pop up toaster.....actually that's a great idea, a slice of toast pops up from behind the screen while I'm doing my morning catch up, hmm, now, where did I put Jonny Ive's phone number.......

The Archangel

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
A pop up toaster.....actually that's a great idea, a slice of toast pops up from behind the screen while I'm doing my morning catch up, hmm, now, where did I put Jonny Ive's phone number.......

The Archangel

Ha ha!! Well, I am not upgrading anything from Apple for a while...

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The Archangel

That would cost some dough, but it would be a warm welcome. :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The Archangel

Aha--I'd buy one of those in a second! Would be nice to add a coffee maker fixated got to the side as well!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:

The Archangel

When you call, tell him to have it butter the toast and spread the jam as well.:D

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Add a built in fridge to put your beer and stuff in and you'll be all set.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Outperforms how? People don't run benchmarks...the mini runs all software destined for iPad.....albeit at lower resolution....and given that is weighs less than half what the regular iPad weighs, its usability is higher. If/when it get the retina, it will be THE iPad to have.

The whole screen size argument for a tablet doesn't hold much weight in my mind. We all use tiny phones....even the mini is several times larger. And no tablet is really a good experience for watching movies.

People don't run benchmarks but they do run apps. Some of the higher end games and apps will likely be smoother and perform better with the better chip and graphics capabilities. It won't effect everyone but it is a factor. I know lots of people use phones for seemingly everything. Think the are crazy but that's just me. Phone screens are too tiny to do anything except a few texts or a simple game as far as I'm concerned. I guess you are correct in a way about screen size differences. I watch movies on my big plasma, not the iPad. But, for some before bed TV shows or something the iPad has much more screen real estate and that does matter.

Being a guy that used to lug around a laptop for many years, I feel the regular iPad is extremely portable, easy to carry, and not heavy at all. Guess its a perspective thing!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People don't run benchmarks but they do run apps. Some of the higher end games and apps will likely be smoother and perform better with the better chip and graphics capabilities. It won't effect everyone but it is a factor. I know lots of people use phones for seemingly everything. Think the are crazy but that's just me. Phone screens are too tiny to do anything except a few texts or a simple game as far as I'm concerned. I guess you are correct in a way about screen size differences. I watch movies on my big plasma, not the iPad. But, for some before bed TV shows or something the iPad has much more screen real estate and that does matter.

Being a guy that used to lug around a laptop for many years, I feel the regular iPad is extremely portable, easy to carry, and not heavy at all. Guess its a perspective thing!

You're no different than me. I've carried tons of stuff for years. The regular iPad is not a problem in a bag/briefcase. Hold it in your hands while sitting on the couch, it becomes heavy to fingers.

I have a lot of games....some of the the most complex for iPad. Apple has designed iOS so that any game for iPad runs well on iPad. The advantage OS the 3/4th gen is the high res graphics. The mini doesn't use those. As such, it runs apps well that we're designed for it. Developers develop for iPad 2, which is what the mini is. I don't think there is a single game that requires an iPad 4 to run, but if there is let me know....it might be a reason to consider an upgrade, though I'm current thinking 5th gen for my next upgrade, those that will depend also on the next version of the mini.

Most reactions

Latest posts