New York Times Says iPad Mini is “By Far the Best iPad.â€

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Dec 4, 2012.

By Maura on Dec 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM
  1. Maura

Expand Collapse
    iPadForums News Team

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks Received:

The New York Times’ Nick Bilton gives the iPad mini a glowing review in the Bits blog today, even going so far as to say that it is Apple’s best iPad yet, “by far.†Bilton heaps Apple’s smallest tablet with praise, saying that it is now what he refers to as his “Desert Island Device,†meaning that it has now taken over from his iPhone as being the one device that he would take to a desert island. Despite being initially sceptical and, he says, rolling his eyes at Apple’s marketing of the new tablet, after using it for two weeks, he is now completely won over by the iPad mini. He even says that it is Apple’s best tablet, by enthusing that it is “the best tablet and reading device anyone has ever made.†Bilton says that what places the iPad mini in this exalted position is the fact that it is “truly portable,†and can fit in most jacket pockets (or handbags). Bilton even dismisses concerns about the iPad mini’s display quality as “completely irrelevant.â€[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] The iPad Mini, Perfect for My Desert Island -
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Dec 4, 2012.

1. s2mikey
      I agree. The only advantage the iPad mini has is its size and slightly extra portability. Sure, to some people that's the most important thing but it ain't for everyone. Many of us have a minimum screen size that we find acceptable. No way it's the best iPad yet. The latest generation fills I've iPad outperforms the mini by a large margin. And the display is a no brainer. Just saying. As I sit here with my totally outdated iPad 2 ;)
    2. tlbaker
      For me it is a waste of $$$. Heavy book readers will probably love this size as it easily fits into a purse or nap sack (or whatever you carry around). OR you can usemit as a very large iPod. But if I get it as a gift I wouldn't turn it down lol.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
      iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
    3. The OB
      The OB
      Agree almightily! I absolutely love my iPad 3 but if they bought out that 13 incher that I am quietly imagining, I would still be proud to have an iPad and at a size that would really suit me. But, hey, that's just some wishful thinking!
      Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    4. AQ_OC
      Outperforms how? People don't run benchmarks...the mini runs all software destined for iPad.....albeit at lower resolution....and given that is weighs less than half what the regular iPad weighs, its usability is higher. If/when it get the retina, it will be THE iPad to have.

The whole screen size argument for a tablet doesn't hold much weight in my mind. We all use tiny phones....even the mini is several times larger. And no tablet is really a good experience for watching movies.
    5. AQ_OC
      I'm not a heavy book reader though I am a heavy reader. The only advantage of the larger iPad is its screen, but even I can live without it. The screen isn't that much smaller either, but try holding the regular iPad in your hands for even an's too heavy. And I can read the screen just fine....I have it sitting in my lap right now outside my doctors office while waiting for them to open. I guess if one has vision issues that might be an issue....but I read just fine at this distance....even without retina.
      Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    6. Kaykaykay

Weight is a factor for me only on the go, which is why I got a Samsung Galaxy Note 5" phablet nearly a year before mini iPad came out. For me, the Note is more portable. At home, weight isn't a factor, because I use a stand. (My absolute favorite: LEVO Deluxe iPad Floor Stand for all iPads Galaxy Xoom Nook and Other eBooks and Tablets: Electronics.)
    7. AdmiralAdama
      I've been test driving the Mini at my local Apple store since it arrived. Don't have enough green on hand at the moment but it's my next tablet.
      If my iPad 2 burns or I chose to retire and gift it, I'll opt for a mini - especially for its "incredible lightness of being." ;)

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
    8. ardchoille
      I love my iPad mini, it's great for reading books and the size is perfect for out-of-the-house use. However, I have to agree with other posters here in that screen size and weight depend entirely on personal taste. My next Apple device will be the iPad 4.
    9. The OB
      The OB
      Good points here! Next....will be....iPad 4. You may need to be quick or you'll end up with the iPad 5 :D
    10. tim coleman
      tim coleman
      If I owned all three, and by that I mean iPhone, iPad mini and iPad, I would leave the iPad at home most of the time as its just too heavy. Ask me the same question in a years time when an iPad weighs the same as a mini and is half as thick, I might give you a different answer.