What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New user, ijoiride here!

Ijoiride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to the iPad and curious about some things. Bought the 64gig iPad 2 without 3G or 4g service. I have a few pilot apps that I'd like to use while flying. I plan a route and would like to use the map & attached flight plan in flight. It's virtually impossible to catch a signal at 10k feet. Is there a way to save the information in the iPad?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can catch at GPS signal at 10k, right? If so, get a GPS receiver that links to your iPad via Bluetooth and get mapping software that lets you download and store maps on your iPad. The dual xgps-150 is on amazon. There are several different map apps you can buy...Navigon is the one I know of. I've not used this setup in the air, only on the ground in a car....but I think it might work for you as the Sats are in orbit. Not sure how that impacts how many Sats will be seen by the receiver at a given point at 10k up...and that does impact GPS performance. I bet you know, though.

OP
I

Ijoiride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3 GPS instruments in my plane so a signal coming from a sat is easy to pick up. It's the wifi signal that I don't have or 3G/4G signal that is generated from towers on the ground. This will help immensely. Thank you for the help!

Most reactions

Latest posts