1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

New to the Forum/iTunes Question

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by tp76, Feb 18, 2011.

1. tp76

tp76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all - I am new here and have some iTunes questions I was hoping I could get answered...new to apple but not the Forums - I am a Mod on Droid Forums.net and Android.net and an Smod on a few of the newer mobile device forums, all Sister Sites within the Forum Foundry Family, so I thought what better place to seek answers but here :)

Anyways I recently bought a 160GB iPod and iTunes seems to organize my music in complete disarray - I did purchase a "Tidy Songs" Liscense and their software does help a little but it is far from being a complete problem solver -

What I would like to be able to do is add my Music collection to iTunes exactly as it is showing in my folders on my computer - for example

Nine Inch Nails <- Artist
    *Pretty Hate Machine <- Album
    1.Track One
    2.Track Two
    *Broken <- Nine Inch Nails Album

Soulfly <- Artist
    *Three <- Album

...and so on - iTunes seems to have a mind of it's own and I am at a loss - I am taking 7,000 songs or so from my hard drive and by the time they hit my iPod I can't find a specific track to save my life

Thanks in Advance :)
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Unfortunately iTunes relies on good mp3 tagging, not good folder and file structure and file naming. You are going to have to go through some pain I'm afraid.
    I used Tag&Rename which is a great utility for building tags from the file structure... Give that a go.
    Hope that helps...
  3. tp76

tp76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was hoping I would be directed to a setting that I was missing that would do the foot work for me, nothing worthwile is easy though - thanks for the Software Suggestion and wish me luck :)
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,988 / 1
    Under the Advanced tab in Preferences you can change the library location, prevent folder rearrangement, and not allow the files to be copied to the media library.

I have no idea what the impact would be on tagging or how the tracks are displayed and sorted.

Form a personal point of view, I don't care how the songs are stored on the computer as long as I can easily find them to play. iTunes does a decent job of this by default if the songs are added through the store. It usually does a decent job if I add them manually.

For the exceptions there is Get Info. You can select multiple songs and change things like album, artist, genre, etc. It would be a pain if I had to do it all the time, but for the occasional track or CD import that goes wrong, I can live with it.
  5. tp76

tp76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will have to dig deeper into those advanced settings - another question, yesterday I changed some folder preferences within the advance menu and I just deleted my entire library and readded everything hoping to see some changes, is there a way to make folder/placement changes from within the menu's take effect on the music that is already within the itunes library without deleting and readding everything ?
  6. tp76

tp76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I downloaded Tag and Rename and it seems to have potential but I am a bit lost as to where to get started - any help would be appreciated
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,988 / 1
    Not that I know of.
  8. tp76

tp76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well here is my painstaking but (hopefully) perfect solution - Playlist folders and playlists, So I set up a Playlist folder as "Artist Name" and the playlists within get named as the "Album Name" this way Apple gets their way and sets up my songs as they like and I get mine, the downfall is 80+ Artists with probably 3 or 4 hundred albums - it's a lot of folder creating
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  9. tp76

tp76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I made it to the N's - definitely tedious work, folder/playlist making but after I get caught up keeping it organized should be cakewalk :)
  10. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Ideally, you would add MP3 tags to all your songs, so that the songs show up properly under Artists/Albums, etc.

Personally, I have never used Tag&Rename, but I have tried Magic MP3 Tagger
    It creates a copy of your music library and adds MP3 tags to all your songs in the process.

Downside: The trial version can only convert 5 tags at a time and the fullversion costs ~20 Euro.
    But you would have a working music library afterwards.
  11. tp76

tp76 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I finally got it through the "folder" method, it was a lot of work but looks good -

[​IMG]