What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to ipad

missyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, after a bit of help? I've got a number of word documents on my laptop, I've emailed these to hotmail and iCloud but the lay out is all wrong. What do I need to do to be able to get all if these documents amended?
For example on my lap top I have a poster then the relevant wording upon that poster, however when emailed and saved to pages its put the poster on one page and wording on another. When I enquirer about the iPad apple assured me it was easy to do, all I would have to do is transfer to iCloud.

I'm also trying to take an image of google but I can't seem to do that.

Any suggestions

Jess

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
missyj said:
Hi all, after a bit of help? I've got a number of word documents on my laptop, I've emailed these to hotmail and iCloud but the lay out is all wrong. What do I need to do to be able to get all if these documents amended?
For example on my lap top I have a poster then the relevant wording upon that poster, however when emailed and saved to pages its put the poster on one page and wording on another. When I enquirer about the iPad apple assured me it was easy to do, all I would have to do is transfer to iCloud.

I'm also trying to take an image of google but I can't seem to do that.

Any suggestions

Jess

I'm a little confused but I'll give this a go. Is the document you are trying to open the finished article? If it is then you need to find an app that will open it with its formatting intact.......there are many office type apps out there, Pages, Quickoffice, Office2Go HD, etc, etc. The same thing goes if you are importing and want to amend the document. Alternatively there are apps like CloudOn, which if you check it out, may also help.

If you are trying to save an image on the Internet, touch and hold the image and a "save image" button will appear.

Hopefully I have been of one help but who knows!

The Archangel

OP
M

missyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey up, right I have a number of completed word docs that I want to transfer to my iPad, and if needs be still have the option of making changes. But when I send them via email and save in pages, it's messing the layout of them up and isn't letting me amend accordingly.

The saving images I've done, thanks to your advice

Jess

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
missyj said:
Hey up, right I have a number of completed word docs that I want to transfer to my iPad, and if needs be still have the option of making changes. But when I send them via email and save in pages, it's messing the layout of them up and isn't letting me amend accordingly.

The saving images I've done, thanks to your advice

Jess

Gabriel makes good suggestions if you are able to successfully import the MS Office created documents without too much trouble. Unfortunately though it sounds like your docs are not importing in a manner that you find functional.

Alternatives to the above include utilizing a remote desktop app on your iPad that accesses the windows based PC that is home to MS Office and the documents of which you speak. In essence the remote desktop app acts as middleware allowing you to access the Windows based PC and perform any/all functions available on that PC. The problem is while there are many of these remote desktop apps available all of them are not what I would classify as iPad friendly. Yes they work but the interface is clunky because gestures rather than mouse functions are used.

I use iTAP mobile RDP (numerous others exist in the app store) to access windows servers and perform basic functions. I've not gone as far as trying to use MS Word or other Office products with this app but I presume it will work. Again though I wish to emphasize that gestures are used whereas you are used to the mouse interface. So while you know MS Word you will have to relearn navigating it.

While of little solace now it is rumored that MS Office is coming to iOS and Android platforms. These rumors are persistent and growing especially considering the rumored launch date is approaching (November 2012).

My advice would be to try and retrofit the docs to use Pages or other iOS Office equivalent/emulator until such a time as MS Office is released for the iPad. That or find a remote desktop app to your liking and access the problem documents via the emulated windows environment, gestures and all.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts