What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Report Says Apple Has Shelved its ‘iPad Pro’ Project

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad pro.jpg

According to the Digitimes publication, the long-rumored "iPad Pro" project has been put on hold, because of "lack of support from related platform developers and ecosystems". The report says that a 12.9-inch iPad, along with other similarly sized tablets, presents an inferior value proposition to low-cost notebooks and doesn’t come with enough qualitative enterprise applications. And looking at the adoption of Samsung's 12.2-inch tablet, it doesn't seem that the market isn't ready for this new type of devices.

Brand vendors have started showing interests in large-size tablets since early 2014. In addition to Apple's rumored 12.85-inch tablet, Samsung Electronics has already launched a 12.2-inch Android-based enterprise tablet, while Asustek Computer is planning to release a 13.3-inch dual-OS tablet. However, most of the large-size tablet projects face difficulties because of lack of support from related platform developers and ecosystems. Apple has also been said to shelved its large-size tablet project. Meanwhile, Google has decided to push an 8.9-inch Nexus tablet for 2014, showing that the Internet giant is starting to shift its focus to larger-size applications.

At the moment we don't know if Apple has killed altogether or simply delayed its iPad Pro project, but some industry watchers still believe that development of the tablet is underway. DigiTimes also reported that a 8.9-inch Nexus device is Google's first tablet project for 2014. Will this put further pressure on the iPad?

Source: DigiTimes

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe it is for the best that Apple to shelve the project first. People are still doing fine with 10-inch tablets.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe it is for the best that Apple to shelve the project first. People are still doing fine with 10-inch tablets.

Very well could be. Everyone was excited for this larger iPad and I was sort of wondering how well it would do. Apparently apple feels the same way I do and doesn't think enough people will want one of these. Perhaps in the future?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Given the size of the screen, and the size/weight of the battery that would have to power it, perhaps the device would be on the heavy side and not conducive to mobility.

Caesars

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I'd see no reason to buy this over a MacBook Air, I guess if it was more like the surface and was an actual laptop/tablet hybrid :).

-=Note3=-=Gold5s=-

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very well could be. Everyone was excited for this larger iPad and I was sort of wondering how well it would do. Apparently apple feels the same way I do and doesn't think enough people will want one of these. Perhaps in the future?
Maybe Apple should only make this available for the military or the government. Heard some people who needs tablets like these. :p

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I'd see no reason to buy this over a MacBook Air, I guess if it was more like the surface and was an actual laptop/tablet hybrid :). -=Note3=-=Gold5s=-

That was my other concern or thought when I read about this. The MBA is such a light, portable device and it's a full blown computer on top of that and is quite a bit more capable than any tablet. I can see an engineer or someone like that preferring the laptop versus the tablet. Especially for what would likely be the same price or close to it.

legal7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A touch screen macbook might do the trick with a type of bifold to cover the keyboard would accomplish the same thing

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A touch screen macbook might do the trick with a type of bifold to cover the keyboard would accomplish the same thing

Terrible idea. The device being controled only by the keyboard would not take up more energy. And last time I used it it was terrible.

Dmitry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ~Seraphim~ said:
Maybe Apple should only make this available for the military or the government. Heard some people who needs tablets like these. :p

Large tablets are not very convenient for occasional use but very well suited for art and drawing. But to be fully up to the task it is best catered for such a tablet should have a stylus. iPad with a stylus should have something in OS to support the stylus operation like pressure sensitivity, refined stylus functionality implementation all through the OS and some set of applications. Maybe it's not quite ready yet?

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Large tablets are not very convenient for occasional use but very well suited for art and drawing. But to be fully up to the task it is best catered for such a tablet should have a stylus. iPad with a stylus should have something in OS to support the stylus operation like pressure sensitivity, refined stylus functionality implementation all through the OS and some set of applications. Maybe it's not quite ready yet?

So what you are saying larger tablets are only best used for art and drawing? I do not agree with that. The military or the government would make great uses for a larger iPad. Not just drawing.

Not your average gamer, ~S~

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't imagine looking to buy an iPad bigger than my iPad 2. I love the form factor and think that once it goes bigger, it loses the ability to travel with it. Currently, when we travel I like to tuck my iPad into my carry-on stowed away under the seat. It's really nice to just slide the bag out and grab the iPad easily. Resting the iPad on the table rest fits perfectly. Works for me.

Maybe others would benefit from a larger size iPad. If I need a larger viewing screen, I will revert back to my Mac Book Air for which it was intended for when I purchased. :)

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't imagine looking to buy an iPad bigger than my iPad 2. I love the form factor and think that once it goes bigger, it loses the ability to travel with it. Currently, when we travel I like to tuck my iPad into my carry-on stowed away under the seat. It's really nice to just slide the bag out and grab the iPad easily. Resting the iPad on the table rest fits perfectly. Works for me. Maybe others would benefit from a larger size iPad. If I need a larger viewing screen, I will revert back to my Mac Book Air for which it was intended for when I purchased. :)

My iPad 2 was too large for me. I can't imagine how i would work out with a larger iPad.

Sent from my iPad 2 Wi-fi only 16 GB iOS 7.1

Most reactions