New Report Says Apple Has Shelved its ‘iPad Pro’ Project

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Mar 16, 2014.

1. RaduTyrsina

RaduTyrsina
    Expand Collapse
    News Team

Thanks Received:
    ipad pro.jpg

According to the Digitimes publication, the long-rumored "iPad Pro" project has been put on hold, because of "lack of support from related platform developers and ecosystems". The report says that a 12.9-inch iPad, along with other similarly sized tablets, presents an inferior value proposition to low-cost notebooks and doesn’t come with enough qualitative enterprise applications. And looking at the adoption of Samsung's 12.2-inch tablet, it doesn't seem that the market isn't ready for this new type of devices.

At the moment we don't know if Apple has killed altogether or simply delayed its iPad Pro project, but some industry watchers still believe that development of the tablet is underway. DigiTimes also reported that a 8.9-inch Nexus device is Google's first tablet project for 2014. Will this put further pressure on the iPad?

Source: DigiTimes

2. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it is for the best that Apple to shelve the project first. People are still doing fine with 10-inch tablets.

3. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Very well could be. Everyone was excited for this larger iPad and I was sort of wondering how well it would do. Apparently apple feels the same way I do and doesn't think enough people will want one of these. Perhaps in the future?

4. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Given the size of the screen, and the size/weight of the battery that would have to power it, perhaps the device would be on the heavy side and not conducive to mobility.

5. Caesars

Caesars
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Personally I'd see no reason to buy this over a MacBook Air, I guess if it was more like the surface and was an actual laptop/tablet hybrid :).

-=Note3=-=Gold5s=-

6. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe Apple should only make this available for the military or the government. Heard some people who needs tablets like these. :p

7. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    That was my other concern or thought when I read about this. The MBA is such a light, portable device and it's a full blown computer on top of that and is quite a bit more capable than any tablet. I can see an engineer or someone like that preferring the laptop versus the tablet. Especially for what would likely be the same price or close to it.

8. legal7

legal7
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    A touch screen macbook might do the trick with a type of bifold to cover the keyboard would accomplish the same thing

9. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Terrible idea. The device being controled only by the keyboard would not take up more energy. And last time I used it it was terrible.

10. legal7

legal7
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    not controlled by the keyboard but simultaneous control similar to to surface