What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini and Other Smaller Tablets Feeling Pressure from Phablets

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iPad-Mini-2.jpeg

According to a recent report from market researcher NPD DisplaySearch, reported by Cnet, smaller tablets are getting hit by large smartphones, generally referred to as phablets. According to DisplaySearch, global shipments of tablets have declined year to year for the first time in the first quarter of 2014.

Hisakazu Torii, a DisplaySearch analyst, said the following in a recent statement:

"Competition between 5.5 [inch] and larger smartphones and 7 - 7.9 [inch] tablet PCs will reduce demand for tablet PCs through 2018. The "unit share" for tablets between 7 and 7.9 inches peaked at 58 percent in 2013, but "will gradually decline in 2014 and beyond,"

DisplaySearch didn't mention any specific tablet, but we know that the 7.9-inch size market is dominated by Apple's iPad Mini, followed by Google's Nexus 7, Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX 7 and devices coming from Samsung and other Android OEMs.

Rumor has it that Apple could bring out a 5.5-inch large iPhone that could compete with the 6.3-inch Galaxy Mega and the 5.7-inch Galaxy Note. But if it will do so, Apple could risk cannibalizing sales of the iPad Mini. DisplaySearch says tablet makers will move to larger sizes to avoid that from happening

"In addition...11 [inch] and larger tablets will exceed 10% of the market by 2018", the report noted.

Source: Cnet

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I think these giant phones are a little silly looking but then again, I'm not a cell phone user much. Il take my very useful ten inch iPad screen, thanks.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm with you, s2mikey. My iPhone is just something to put in my pocket when leaving the house. If this is the way things are going, perhaps they could eliminate the iPhone altogether and make the Mini the phone (which would be doable except for the pocket factor). Come to think of it, Apple could include an Apple jacket with wide, Mini-fitting pockets with every purchase of a new 'iMini-phone'.

All that aside, I know there are lots of people who would or could appreciate a phablet or larger phone. My sister, for example, when shopping for a new computer, was dismissive of the iPad and instead opted for a Dell laptop, but she does have an iPhone. Perhaps an 'iPhablet' would be useful and used by her, who knows?

All I can say is that I think the Mini is really perhaps my favorite Apple device. Not too big, not too small...just right for all of my tasks. I'm going to have to break down one of these days and add a Mini Retina or the next generation, whenever it comes out.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, my wife has an iPad Mini and loves the size; she (and I) have 'dumb' phones - I'm in no hurry to replace mine (not used that often), but she now wants a smartphone; since she knows iOS, I suggested an iPhone, so we went to Best Buy to look at the display sizes since she likely would do some email & web browsing w/ the new phone - well the current screen of the iPhone is just too small for her - we plan to wait a few months to see in Apple releases a 5.5" model (she played w/ a number of Android phones of that size and was much happier) - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts