What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumored 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Probably Won't Launch Until Q3 2014

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
apple-ipad-pro.jpg

According to numerous industry rumors over the past months, Apple is supposedly working on a 12.9-inch iPad Pro device for 2014. The newest supply chain rumor regarding that suggests that if they do launch the device, it won't be until late in the third quarter. Additionally, Apple has supposedly commissioned component suppliers to produce more 7.9-Inch and 9.7-Inch models for future tablets.

This newest report suggests Apple is expecting to sell 80-90 Million tablets in 2014. The report further speculates that Samsung will stay the number two tablet supplier with 60-70 Million units moved. Here's a quote with the details,

Apple and Samsung Electronics will remain as the global top-two tablet vendors in 2014 with expected shipments of 80-90 million and 60-70 million units, respectively, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

Samsung's recent launch of its 12.2-inch model is expected to propel Apple to accelerate development of large-size iPads. Market sources indicated that Apple is likely to release a 12.9-inch model by the end of the third quarter at the earliest.

The two vendors are also expected to continue rolling out new versions of their existing models.

Samsung is also likely to launch more Galaxy Lite models, with prices going down as low as US$129, the sources indicated, adding that Samsung's tablet shipments in 2014 are expected to reach 60-70 million units compared to 40 million shipped in 2013.

Meanwhile, Apple reportedly has asked its production partners and component suppliers to develop new models of 7.9- and 9.7-inch tablets, added the sources.

What do you think? Would a 12.9-inch iPad Pro appeal to you?

Source: DigiTimes

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd think so, with respect to 'bigger size, better for the eyes'.
However, it certainly will come with the price to match.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think a bigger iPad will need a thicker bezel than that shown in the image.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd think so, with respect to 'bigger size, better for the eyes'. However, it certainly will come with the price to match.

The price is what would be hard for me to deal with. It's going to be in the same range as the Mac book pro which is a very portable, svelt device with incredible battery life. And, it's a real computer versus a tablet. Gonna be interesting how they price these though and what it will do to sales of the regular iPad and the MBAs.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The price is what would be hard for me to deal with. It's going to be in the same range as the Mac book pro which is a very portable, svelt device with incredible battery life. And, it's a real computer versus a tablet. Gonna be interesting how they price these though and what it will do to sales of the regular iPad and the MBAs.

A tablet is a real computer in every sense of that term. I don't see a tablet competing with laptops except among those few who don't have a clear need for either. Those who need a laptop will still buy a laptop. Those would want a large tablet will buy this. Some will have both, some one or the other, some neither. I suspect apple will price them to appeal to those for whom the need is clear - a non-laptop-needing-large-tablet-needing vertical market buyer. Some others might buy one because they are not clear on what they need or why - they like a larger screen for example, but that alone is no reason to buy one of these for most people. This will obviously cost more which is why most won't buy this model, but that is fine for Apple because they probably didn't make this product for the mass market. Pricing will reflect that.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A tablet is a real computer in every sense of that term. I don't see a tablet competing with laptops except among though few who don't have a clear need for either. Those who need a laptop will still buy a laptop. Those would want a large tablet will buy one. Some will have both, some one or the other, some neither. I suspect apple will price them to appeal to those for whom the need is clear - a non-laptop-needing-large-tablet-needing vertical market buyer. Some others might buy one because they are not clear on what they need or why - they like a larger screen for example, but that alone is no reason to buy one of these for most people. This will obviously cost more which is why most won't buy this model, but that is fine for Apple because they probably didn't make this product for the mass market. Pricing will reflect that.

Some good points here. I'm very curious what the price is on these. That'll be the deciding factor for many potential buyers!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
apple-ipad-pro.jpg

According to numerous industry rumors over the past months, Apple is supposedly working on a 12.9-inch iPad Pro device for 2014. The newest supply chain rumor regarding that suggests that if they do launch the device, it won't be until late in the third quarter. Additionally, Apple has supposedly commissioned component suppliers to produce more 7.9-Inch and 9.7-Inch models for future tablets.

This newest report suggests Apple is expecting to sell 80-90 Million tablets in 2014. The report further speculates that Samsung will stay the number two tablet supplier with 60-70 Million units moved. Here's a quote with the details,

What do you think? Would a 12.9-inch iPad Pro appeal to you?

Source: DigiTimes

Yep!! Hopefully, I will be able to get one!!

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts