Rumored 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Probably Won't Launch Until Q3 2014

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by dgstorm, Jan 17, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0
    [​IMG]

According to numerous industry rumors over the past months, Apple is supposedly working on a 12.9-inch iPad Pro device for 2014. The newest supply chain rumor regarding that suggests that if they do launch the device, it won't be until late in the third quarter. Additionally, Apple has supposedly commissioned component suppliers to produce more 7.9-Inch and 9.7-Inch models for future tablets.

This newest report suggests Apple is expecting to sell 80-90 Million tablets in 2014. The report further speculates that Samsung will stay the number two tablet supplier with 60-70 Million units moved. Here's a quote with the details,

What do you think? Would a 12.9-inch iPad Pro appeal to you?

Source: DigiTimes
  2. mydave

mydave iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0
    I'd think so, with respect to 'bigger size, better for the eyes'.
    However, it certainly will come with the price to match.
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I think a bigger iPad will need a thicker bezel than that shown in the image.
  4. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135 / 0
    The price is what would be hard for me to deal with. It's going to be in the same range as the Mac book pro which is a very portable, svelt device with incredible battery life. And, it's a real computer versus a tablet. Gonna be interesting how they price these though and what it will do to sales of the regular iPad and the MBAs.
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    A tablet is a real computer in every sense of that term. I don't see a tablet competing with laptops except among those few who don't have a clear need for either. Those who need a laptop will still buy a laptop. Those would want a large tablet will buy this. Some will have both, some one or the other, some neither. I suspect apple will price them to appeal to those for whom the need is clear - a non-laptop-needing-large-tablet-needing vertical market buyer. Some others might buy one because they are not clear on what they need or why - they like a larger screen for example, but that alone is no reason to buy one of these for most people. This will obviously cost more which is why most won't buy this model, but that is fine for Apple because they probably didn't make this product for the mass market. Pricing will reflect that.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135 / 0
    Some good points here. I'm very curious what the price is on these. That'll be the deciding factor for many potential buyers!
  7. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Yep!! Hopefully, I will be able to get one!!

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD