What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Normacourtois

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, boy am I glad to have found you. I am not smart at
All when it comes to technical things to do with computers. I know I don't
Do half the things I can do with my IPhone and I have a new Ipad2 wi fi 3 G arriving on June 1st. I have been patiently waiting. Already I am upset though to find I may have to purchase a new printer. I just donated two last week and still have 3 here at home an none look like they will work with my new IPad. I was reading the forum before I joined and saw that I should load the "print and share" app but when I went to the App store there are a bunch of them and now I don't know which one to load. Can someone give this
Dummy some advise. Oh I pray I don't have to buy another
Printer. Thanks. Norma Courtois

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your printer is not on the list of AirPrint-compatible printers then you'll need a third-party app, such as PrintCentral or PrintNShare. I have PrintCentral. This will print directly - via WiFi - to almost any wireless printer and to absolutely any printer via your PC.

My printer was not supported directly by PrintCentral, so I downloaded the free 'WePrint' app to my PC. This makes my PC (WiFi) receive the printing from the iPad and transfers it to my printer. Using the WePrint app on your PC and PrintCentral on the iPad will let you always print to any printer attached to the PC.

It seems as though about 90% of printers can print directly from PrintCentral without the WePrint/PC extra step and the last 10% require that additional 'complexity'.

It does sometimes take a little while to get it set up properly and working, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't work straight away and get back to us for some further help, if you need it.

Tim

DaveHancock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your printer is not on the list of AirPrint-compatible printers then you'll need a third-party app, such as PrintCentral or PrintNShare. I have PrintCentral. This will print directly - via WiFi - to almost any wireless printer and to absolutely any printer via your PC.

My printer was not supported directly by PrintCentral, so I downloaded the free 'WePrint' app to my PC. This makes my PC (WiFi) receive the printing from the iPad and transfers it to my printer. Using the WePrint app on your PC and PrintCentral on the iPad will let you always print to any printer attached to the PC.

It seems as though about 90% of printers can print directly from PrintCentral without the WePrint/PC extra step and the last 10% require that additional 'complexity'.

It does sometimes take a little while to get it set up properly and working, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't work straight away and get back to us for some further help, if you need it.

Tim
Tim, What is there that I am not understanding about PRINTCENTRAL (I have the Pro version): I have WePrint/PC and can print the test file in PrintCentral from my wife's new iPad2. However, the other Apps on her iPad (such as Safari) still do not see my PC printer (nor PrintCentral). The PrintCentral help file seems to indicate that I need to play some tricks (place a "z" at the beginning of the URL in Safari - which can't be done in a long URL [need to print a copy of an order placed with Amazon or someone).

There have been some posts (from you too) that seem to indicate that the latest versions of IOS and/or PrintCentral no longer print directly from apps using PrintCentral, but this post seems to indicate that it does.

Confusing (and frustrating - sort of makes me regret the iPad purchase).

otacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I did was follow these directions to get my Canon wifi printer working with my iPad2 via a Windows 7 machine. I didn't need to install an 3rd party programs.

How to Install AirPrint to Enable Wireless Printing on Windows? | Jaxov

You'll still have to play with your settings a little possibly. I had to mess with my network/sharing settings and my file/printer sharing as well. But after 10 minutes I was printing from iPad2.

DaveHancock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I did was follow these directions to get my Canon wifi printer working with my iPad2 via a Windows 7 machine. I didn't need to install an 3rd party programs.

How to Install AirPrint to Enable Wireless Printing on Windows? | Jaxov

You'll still have to play with your settings a little possibly. I had to mess with my network/sharing settings and my file/printer sharing as well. But after 10 minutes I was printing from iPad2.

Thank's. My point is that the PrintCentral approach proposed by Tim DOESN'T WORK directly from Apps. Telling people that it is the "solution" only leads to confusion and frustration (and a needless Apps Store purchase).

Most reactions

Latest posts