Printing to the new canon printer MG6250

Discussion in 'AirPrint' started by col.bris, Oct 24, 2011.

1. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok yes I am asking for advice..... Don't laugh ok I may have 35 years back ground with Apple but this one has me stumped as Canon Support, Australia has not been helpful. They state it is not compatible yet it is listed by Apple as preferred printer.

The Canon MG6250 has just been released in Australia unfortunately I have not been able to get a demo to test the printer. I have a customer that purchased the printer while I was on vacation. (holiday in Aussie) and owns an ipad2 with iOS 5. He is having problems printing to it even though Canon states compatible with Air print.

My question is are there any users whom are printing to the new printers and if so can you print documents and Picts and what is your setup.

One more thing....... The customer wants to print to the printer when mobile in his van. Yes he has a power converter I know he needs a router to print.... Suggestions will be great.

I should point out USA received this printer prior to Australia

2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I can't help ~ but until someone comes along....

[​IMG]

3. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol. You made my day

4. addyboddo

addyboddo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I just spent many many hours working this out. The MG6250 doesn't support Airprint out of the box, you need to do a firmware update (I wish Canon made that clearer!)

Anyway, I had some problems locating the update on the Aussie site, but the UK site has the update, and it's easy to find. Due to my only having 0 posts here (I'm a newbie), I can't post the link, but go to the Canon website and pretend you're in the UK. Follow the standard search for support for the MG6250 in multifunctionals and you will find the update in 'firmware' (currently called 'MG6200 Series Printer Update Utility V1.0 for[Mac/Windows]).

Install the software, and then install the update to the printer (the printer must be connected to the computer via USB, not wireless!) .

Once that was done, it all worked great!

Hope this helps.

5. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks for your efforts. I will pass this on to my customer. by the way welcome to our forums. Nice to see another Aussie on board.

6. addyboddo

addyboddo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Col!
    By the way, when I say UK Canon site, I actually meant the Ireland Canon site!:eek:

7. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No problem I work for the good guys Ipswich we are now sourcing the upgrade many thanks for your efforts.

8. BoscoBritish

BoscoBritish
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I followed your suggestions and it worked first time; thanks very much.

9. awe

awe
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I am also having the problem of using airprint on a mg6250, I have fund the web site and update on the canon multifunction site but when I download it I cant find it and dont know how to transfer it to the printer. I have also linked the printer to the computer and selected troubleshooting from the icon and downloaded it from there but again it does not seam to make a difference can you take me through how you did it step by step, regards arthur

10. awe

awe
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Update from arthur. I have successfully uploaded the software to the printer but still no joy, does the ipad2 have to have any settings changed?