What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing to the new canon printer MG6250

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok yes I am asking for advice..... Don't laugh ok I may have 35 years back ground with Apple but this one has me stumped as Canon Support, Australia has not been helpful. They state it is not compatible yet it is listed by Apple as preferred printer.

The Canon MG6250 has just been released in Australia unfortunately I have not been able to get a demo to test the printer. I have a customer that purchased the printer while I was on vacation. (holiday in Aussie) and owns an ipad2 with iOS 5. He is having problems printing to it even though Canon states compatible with Air print.

My question is are there any users whom are printing to the new printers and if so can you print documents and Picts and what is your setup.

One more thing....... The customer wants to print to the printer when mobile in his van. Yes he has a power converter I know he needs a router to print.... Suggestions will be great.

I should point out USA received this printer prior to Australia

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't help ~ but until someone comes along....

smiley-hug008.gif

addyboddo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I just spent many many hours working this out. The MG6250 doesn't support Airprint out of the box, you need to do a firmware update (I wish Canon made that clearer!)

Anyway, I had some problems locating the update on the Aussie site, but the UK site has the update, and it's easy to find. Due to my only having 0 posts here (I'm a newbie), I can't post the link, but go to the Canon website and pretend you're in the UK. Follow the standard search for support for the MG6250 in multifunctionals and you will find the update in 'firmware' (currently called 'MG6200 Series Printer Update Utility V1.0 for[Mac/Windows]).

Install the software, and then install the update to the printer (the printer must be connected to the computer via USB, not wireless!) .

Once that was done, it all worked great!

Hope this helps.

Ok yes I am asking for advice..... Don't laugh ok I may have 35 years back ground with Apple but this one has me stumped as Canon Support, Australia has not been helpful. They state it is not compatible yet it is listed by Apple as preferred printer.

The Canon MG6250 has just been released in Australia unfortunately I have not been able to get a demo to test the printer. I have a customer that purchased the printer while I was on vacation. (holiday in Aussie) and owns an ipad2 with iOS 5. He is having problems printing to it even though Canon states compatible with Air print.

My question is are there any users whom are printing to the new printers and if so can you print documents and Picts and what is your setup.

One more thing....... The customer wants to print to the printer when mobile in his van. Yes he has a power converter I know he needs a router to print.... Suggestions will be great.

I should point out USA received this printer prior to Australia

OP
col.bris

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many thanks for your efforts. I will pass this on to my customer. by the way welcome to our forums. Nice to see another Aussie on board.

BoscoBritish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addyboddo said:
Ok, I just spent many many hours working this out. The MG6250 doesn't support Airprint out of the box, you need to do a firmware update (I wish Canon made that clearer!)

Anyway, I had some problems locating the update on the Aussie site, but the UK site has the update, and it's easy to find. Due to my only having 0 posts here (I'm a newbie), I can't post the link, but go to the Canon website and pretend you're in the UK. Follow the standard search for support for the MG6250 in multifunctionals and you will find the update in 'firmware' (currently called 'MG6200 Series Printer Update Utility V1.0 for[Mac/Windows]).

Install the software, and then install the update to the printer (the printer must be connected to the computer via USB, not wireless!) .

Once that was done, it all worked great!

Hope this helps.

I followed your suggestions and it worked first time; thanks very much.

awe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am also having the problem of using airprint on a mg6250, I have fund the web site and update on the canon multifunction site but when I download it I cant find it and dont know how to transfer it to the printer. I have also linked the printer to the computer and selected troubleshooting from the icon and downloaded it from there but again it does not seam to make a difference can you take me through how you did it step by step, regards arthur

awe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am also having the problem of using airprint on a mg6250, I have fund the web site and update on the canon multifunction site but when I download it I cant find it and dont know how to transfer it to the printer. I have also linked the printer to the computer and selected troubleshooting from the icon and downloaded it from there but again it does not seam to make a difference can you take me through how you did it step by step, regards arthur

Update from arthur. I have successfully uploaded the software to the printer but still no joy, does the ipad2 have to have any settings changed?

Lurchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly how did you get it to work. I have updated the firmware to 2.00 but its saying that their is no air-printer available but it is connected to the network. I can confirm this because i can print from my laptop plus i have printed out the Network configuration page. Any help

Paul

bitbonk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have updated my Canon MG6250 to the latest firmware (I think 2.0) via USB but still my iOS (5.0) devices cannot find the printer. The printer is directly connected to a WiFi router via ethernet cable and I can I can print from my iMAC (OSX Lion) just fine, which is connected via WiFi to the WiFi router. The iOS devices connect to the very same network and very same WiFi router as my iMac.
To all of you who where able to print with airPrint: How is you network setup? Maybe we can find a key difference here.

Seb23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Thank you for your help. It works :)

Just to add some info :

- Nothing to change for me on my ipad
- I had some difficulties to find the update program using the canon website (only results for Mac and not windows and I don't understand why) but using google it was ok tipping that : MG6200 series Printer Update Utility Ver1.1 pour Windows
- Then I faced another stupid problem : the firmware looks like an autoexecuting one but it was not…I had to open it using an extractor soft
- After that I only had to follow the instructions (very clear and available in a lot of languages)
- Note that the printer has to be linked via usb when updating
Note also that the only way for me to have the good info for the question “Do I need to update or not ?” was with the test of Printing the nozzle check pattern (see FAQ: How to Use Apple AirPrint in the uk Canon Website). The info on the properties pannel regarding the version of my driver\firmware was not good.

Pour les francophones qui passeraient sur cette page : oui imprimer avec Canon MG 6250 via airprint sur Ipad fonctionne. Il faut mettre à jour le firmware de l’imprimante en recherchant le fichier "MG6200 series Printer Update Utility Ver1.1 pour Windows" sur Google. L’ouvrir avec un soft type winzip ou autre et suivre les instructions. Il fqut que l’imprimante soit reliée au pc en usb pour la mise à jour. Ensuite on peut repasser en wifi. Voir le test d’impression des buses sur le site de Canon pour savoir si vous devez faire la mise à jour ou pas. Rien à changer sur l’iPad 5ma version de l’IOS : 4.2.1)

Thanks again to all of you .

Nb for bitbonk : I do not know How is my network setup but do not hesitate to explain more if I can help you.

Thanks again to all of you .

Adg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just purchased the mg 6250 printer. I have it working wirelessly from my lap top. How do I get to do the same from my iPad?
Any direction appreciated, thx

Most reactions