What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member..trying to update from 1st iPad 3.2 software to ios 5.1..I believe it is!

Presley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Forum! I am a new member and my name is Presley! I have the first iPad and I believe the software is 3.2.
I might have updated it once. I sync my iPad to a family member's computer at work (it uses windows vista I believe it is called)...I don't even remember which iTunes I have right off the top of my head...but I am wanting to update my software and iTunes at this time. I realized when I began not being able to buy and load apps because off my software being SO out of date that I was going to have to study and figure all this updating/syncing stuff out! As y'all might have figured out, I am not very good with all this technology! I absolutely love my iPad though. I use it just to surf the web, look at you tube, facebook, apps, and iTunes. I am a chronic pain patient from the result of a car accident, broken neck, fibromialgia, brain surgery, narcolepsy, and I live 24/7 in chronic neuropathic pain as a result. What I am getting to is that my iPad is my link to all my friends and basically the outside world most of the time and I wouldn't know what to do without it, but now I am not able to do much with it because it is so extremely outdated. I have studied so much info about updating and syncing but I am terrified I will mess it up and delete everything from the articles I have read. Also, The different things I am reading don't quite match up...one article says to do it this way and another article will tell me something different. Can anyone direct me to a reliable source for updating? Is it safe to update a 1st generation iPad to the newest software and iTunes? I'm tired of it being a dinosaur! Any tech savvy people willing to help this "old school" gal out will be much appreciated!!! This forum is a blessing y'all! I look very forward to hearing from y'all! Thank y'all very much and I apologize for the length of this post. Also, I am very happy to be a part of this group. It is amazing so many people will take their personal time to write back and help out strangers...what a wonderful and kind group y'all must be....amazing! Thank y'all so much! Sincerely, your technically challenged friend, ~Presley~

Tim84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Presley,

Yes, it is fine to update your first gen. iPad to iOS 5.1, it will bring lots of bug fixes and new features for you. I use a first gen. and have always done the updates the day they come out.

You need to use the computer you set the iPad up with and you'll do just fine. Install the iTunes update then plug your iPad in and follow the prompt to update. You can run a backup first too if you're worried about losing data.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only word of caution I have Presley, is because you have left it so very long, an upgrade may be difficult.

With the iPad, you can update, which keeps all your apps, settings, etc on your device.
Or you can restore, which puts a fresh clean install of IOS on your device and it's like new again. You then need to sync your apps etc back onto the device.

Whilst the iPad supports updating, updating from 3.2 to 5.1 is a BIG update and there is a significant chance you will run into problems IMHO. The update is very complex and so much will have changed under the covers since the first OS the iPad1 was released with. The best practice approach is usually to update with every new release, and dont stay more than a minor version behind. That means the upgrade is always the least complex that it can be. i.e moving from the last version to the current version. You are proposing to upgrade across 2 major versions and about a dozen or more minor ones. That is extremely complex and prone to error.

I'm honestly not trying to scare you, but I want you to be prepared. You may need to bite the bullet and restore rather than update.

No matter what, please keep it up to date more regularly! This is the very reason it's so important!

To echo what Tim84 said, you must update to the latest iTunes on your PC first. Then connect the iPad and try the "update" button. If you run into serious problems after the update you should consider pressing the "restore" button instead, but this will wipe your device and put fresh 5.1 on it.

Hope that helps.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Presley and welcome to the Forum!

Good luck with that update, you've gotten some great advice. Fingers crossed!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
Presley

Presley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank y'all for all the help! I have a lot of reading ahead of me to do! I really appreciate all the links and information. I wish I had been able to keep up with all the updates and had realized just how very important it is to do so because I am so extremely behind, I don't know if I will be able to figure it all out...I have my fingers crossed and am very positive but it might be way above my head! To the moderator:sorry for starting a new thread...I thought I was suppose to also be in the iPad 1 forum...I apologize. For that...I'm still trying to figure out how these forums run exactly. I think I need to go and reread all of y'all's rules and regulations. Sincerely, ~Presley~

Bye, Y'all! ~Presley~

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you run into any problems just holler and we will help you. Do a backup first before you do anything though, just in case.
Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts