What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad but have a couple of issues, thoughts welcome

barks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just joined so new here hoping for a little help.
I've just got my hands on a new iPad just the 16gb wifi one, didn't see the point of spending another £100 for sim version when I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot.
I tried for 2 weeks to buy one and gave up deciding that apple shouldn't release a product and then not stock it as its very frustrating and they will loose sales and decided to get the prime.
But I found one 2 weeks old for sale where I was working at a good price so it's mine now.

I'm soo pleased I got it, the screen is the best in the world, so good that I now have to upgrade all the tvs in the house ? everything else just seams rubbish now my eyes are used to it.

Anyhow I have a couple of questions,
sometimes when I open apps, it does it with a few different apps the screen goes blank, or it goes back to home screen? I have to try a few times to open an app. It happens on tv catchup and asphalt6 mostly if not exclusively?
This is the only issue at the mo,

It's awesome and I love it, just wish it had sdcard slot and played flash
I intended on jail braking it but I don't think I will now.
I might even swap my htc incredible s for an iPhone!

Thanks
Barks

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would close down all apps in the multitask bar (swipe up with 4 fingers or double tap home button. Hold one of the apps until jiggling and press the red minus sign) You can then do either of the following.
Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.
Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.
This clears most if not all problems. Let us know if it persists and someone will have another suggestion

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyhow I have a couple of questions,
sometimes when I open apps, it does it with a few different apps the screen goes blank, or it goes back to home screen? I have to try a few times to open an app. It happens on tv catchup and asphalt6 mostly if not exclusively?

I think these apps are crashing on you. This is how iOS apps act when the crash...they just disappear and you land back at the home screen. You might try powering your iPad on and off again. And you might want to leave feedback with the app maker so they can release a bug fix.

Enjoy your new toy!

OP
B

barks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think these apps are crashing on you. This is how iOS apps act when the crash...they just disappear and you land back at the home screen. You might try powering your iPad on and off again. And you might want to leave feedback with the app maker so they can release a bug fix.

Enjoy your new toy!

Thanks both, I've tried the reset and it's the same. You are right the apps don't seam to like the task bar, if there in the task bar they don't want to open again from the home screen.
Can I turn the task bar off as I don't like it?
I would rather use all the resources for what I'm doing not sharing them with the things I've already done?

Thanks

Barks

L

Lunar

Thanks both, I've tried the reset and it's the same. You are right the apps don't seam to like the task bar, if there in the task bar they don't want to open again from the home screen.
Can I turn the task bar off as I don't like it?
I would rather use all the resources for what I'm doing not sharing them with the things I've already done?

Thanks

Barks

No.. the taskbar is basically the iPads task manager if you like.. it's an important part of the iOS, are you sure it's not the same app thats causing the problem.? I'm surprised a none destructive reboot did'nt help. ie. (Hold Home and ON/Off buttons down until screen goes blank holding them down until the Apple logo appears)

Are all the apps behaving like this.? If so, I'm thinking that maybe getting it replaced may be prudent. You could try a complete iOS 5.1 re-install.. just in case something has got totally screwed up with the iOS, but I've never had it happen myself. Though I've had the odd App crash where it's just disappeared and the iPad immediately returns to the home screen.
Just occasionally my Atomic Web browser app does it, but not enough to stop me using it, I've left the author feedback so hopefully it will get fixed soon.

I have had the odd behavour with a couple of apps similiar to what you discribe, but double tapping the home button and then when the task bar appears, I hold them down until they wiggle and then remove them from the taskbar, it would be nice if there was an option to remove them all in one go like on Android devices... bit of a pain.. but seems the only way to keep things running smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

barks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all,

I've tried the hard reset and its ok now.
The problem was the apps didn't know they were in the task bar so they were trying to reload and hanging.
Now the task bar is working with the apps I can tell because it carys on as if they were paused.
Anyhow all good thank you :)

I've just joined net flicks so i can watch films on the iPad, I also joined love film but it seamed to want silver light and the app didn't seam very good. So I'm keeping net flicks
I've just bought a hdmi connector and it works but when I plug it in I get a message stating this accessory is not supported ?
Anyone know why?
Also one last question. I get very good hd on the bedroom 1080p tv but the lounge plasma which is 720i doesn't recognise the hd output from the iPad. Is there anything I can do ? Ie settings on the iPad for video out to match it.

Sorry very last question. I have produced a song on GarageBand and I want to put it on cd. What's the best way to do it ?

Thanks

Barks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know why the iPad 3 says the hdmi connector is not supported, but it still works, so I ignore it.

I know that AVPlayer HD can let you control the TV output...but I don't know if the iPad has built in control, but I would think it could support 720i or 720p.

Most reactions

Latest posts