New iOS 4.2 Announced

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by robertlc, Sep 1, 2010.

1. robertlc

robertlc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Also, looks like the multitasking icon will occupy one of the six spots on the dock and the dock will be able to appear when you need to switch and hide when not being used.

2. Purpleorchid

Purpleorchid
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    What would have been cool is if he demoed multitasking of the Epic Games demo and a streaming video....switching back and forth.

3. Tinman

Tinman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I think multi-tasking will be fine on the iPad. I have an iPhone 3GS (and now iPhone 4) and it can multi-task OK. Heck with it jailbroken I ran GPS apps just fine in the background--and this was before 4.x so the app was fully running in the background, not like how it works now with native operation. The iPad has the same amount of RAM as the 3GS but its processor is faster.

And actually what I want more than multi-tasking on my iPad is saved state. Most of the apps I use don't need to do anything in the background. But if I am, say, ready USA Today on my iPad, then remember I need to send a quick email, I would like to come back to USA Today where I left off and not have it start from the main page again. So having it save its state consumes no CPU cycles yet accomplishes what I really am looking for. I can think of many apps that need this more than background operation.

What I DO want multitasking for are audio apps, such as streaming radio.... These apps are not really CPU intensive so I can't see them causing too much impact on performance.

Michael

4. roses

roses
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Cool stuff !

5. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I saw something that said wireless printing was to be part of the next OS.

6. Tinman

Tinman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yes it sure will be! And you will see what is printing in the task list, so you can view what is being printed, or even cancel a print job. Pretty sweet.

Michael

7. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Apple TV looked really cool...he was showing it and I was like...ok cool....not really for me...but when he showed the airplay thing and then the price that was it....sold! Now I just have to get a new TV with HDMI, which I plan on doing in the next year or so.

btw, I love that Chris Martin said "well f**k it" on Steves first live stream!!! Classic!

#27 gentlefury, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  8. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I think you might have misunderstood what you saw, the multitasking bar on iOS4 comes up with a double click of the home key. (at least on the iPhone - I expect the iPad to be the same).

9. whoknowme

whoknowme
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    hear this new just now.

10. robertlc

robertlc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Chances are I did misunderstand something. I must have missed when he gave a clear demonstration of the multitasking. From the quick glances I got of the screen, that's just how it appeared to me.

We'll figure it out when we get it.