What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New AT&T 3G Rates

What do you think about the pricing?

• Like the Old Plan better!

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • New Plan is better than the old plan!

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Doesn't Matter.....I got the Wi-Fi version of the Ipad

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jazzephaye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So...what do you all think about the new AT&T rates. As you know when the iPad was first launched...AT&T offered...250mb @ 14.99/month and unlimited usage @29.99/month. Now its all changed. The new rates for new subscribers will be...

DataPlus Plan - 200mb of data @ $15
DataPro Plan - 2gigs of data @ $30

Overages on the DataPlus Plan will cost you $15 for each additional 200mb

Overages on the DataPro Plan will cost you $10 for each additional gig used.

Hate to say it....but these plans suck!!!! What do you all think? Hopefully more companies will start to offer better 3G plans for iPaders!

didisinned

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T- News Room

The other thing is that if you're currently on the unlimited plan, AT&T will allow you to "grandfather" that plan until you choose to either downgrade, or cancel 3G sevice

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion the new plan(s) are garbage. I do understand that they are doing this because of the network congestion the iPhone (and now the iPad) data traffic causes but I feel they waited for early adopters of the iPad 3G. I'm really glad that I did not get a 3G model and have the option of tethering my iPad Wifi to my android phone with T-Mobile.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that an organized March of screaming iPad owners should take place in front of their corporate headquarters.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that the problem with the socalled plans they sucker you in then they change the plans around ..the old bait and switch thing.. that why iam not a big fan of the phones when it comes to some of there plans ..

OP
Jazzephaye

Jazzephaye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@didisinned your absolutely right. It was my typo. I knew it was $25 but for some reason I accidentally put $30. Thanks for correcting!

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got the unlimited plan, and am keeping it, so the new plans don't affect me (yet).

But I think it's BS how they waited until just a little over a month after the 3G Ipads came out to cancel their original plan deal. Either do it before hand, or wait maybe 6 months or so. Seems like they knew they were going to do it, but just waited to sucker some people in.

Unless Steve Jobs new about this and didn't say anything, I'd guess he's pretty PO'd too, since one of his main selling points for the 3G was the "unprecedented" $30 unlimited data plan. I think we'll see more carriers available for Apple products very soon.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new plan has it's merits. My main gripe is that it ruins the whole great deal of no contract. A person cannot go to the unlimited option at will, which was the advantage touted. If you want to turn it off, you can never go back.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
They need to do one of two things.

#1 Bring the price down to $20/month for UNLIMITED

or

#2 Keep it at $30 unlimited and upgrade there systems already.

The iphone and now the iPad have been nothing be a huge cash flow for them with data plans, and they just sit around waiting and not upagrading the system. Then when it come back to bite them they take it out on the customers.

if they say 80%-90% of customers dont go over 2Gigs then this whole plan change will have no effect on the network congestion.

They anounced the iphone 3GS saying that it has built in support for 7.2Mbps HSDPA when AT&T upgrades their system. At this rate the iphone 3GS will be outdated when they finaly decide to upgrade. Then we will have to wait longer for them to switch to LTE like the rest of the companies are planning on doing this year or next year.

I know jobs likes AT&T for the fact that they made an exclusive deal with the original iPhone without ever even seeing the phone ahead of time(apple would allow them to know anything about the phone before its release) and Jobs said that "he would never forget that", but come on the company is making them look bad. Add in t-mobiles GSM frequencies and factory unlock the phones like the ipad.

Last edited:

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new plan has it's merits. My main gripe is that it ruins the whole great deal of no contract. A person cannot go to the unlimited option at will, which was the advantage touted. If you want to turn it off, you can never go back.

Exactly. Even though there's no "contract", if you cancel your unlimited at any time, then you're SOL on going back to it

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Good points Mike...

The iPhone is the reason AT&T is not in 3rd place instead of second...... they need to expand with the times ...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While AT&T has taken a lot of guff over the poor service in some areas, it would have been no better with Verizon, and would have cost more from my experience. AT&T is doing a lot to bring their backbone up to the standard needed to support the rapid growth of smart phones, but the reality is that our internet trunk system is obsolete and no money is there to make the next level of change needed. As someone who went thru the experience of 14.4 modems, I can say that things have greatly improved. Trouble is, everyone is buying new airplanes, but not enough airports to land on.

Most reactions

Latest posts