What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Net Neutrality Lives! FCC will Classify the Internet Under Utility-Style Rules

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
net_neutrality-moves-forward.jpg

We knew it would be coming soon. The FCC had their final meeting regarding the Net Neutrality debate. As the FCC Director Tom Wheeler shared in his proposal, the FCC will now classify the Internet under the Title II classification. This basically categorizes the Internet like a utility and allows the FCC to keep ISPs from blocking or slowing down traffic on wired and wireless networks. It also bans ISPs from charging content providers differently for any type of paid priority "fast lanes," even in the case of network congestion.

This classification will be applied to both wired and wireless broadband networks to prevent ISPs from favoring bits of data over each other. Here's a quote with a few more details regarding the resulting furor over the official announcement,

But the FCC's move to apply Title II to broadband has been viewed by cable operators, wireless providers and phone companies as a "nuclear option," with potentially devastating fallout from unintended consequences.

These companies argue that applying outdated regulation to the broadband industry will stifle innovation by hurting investment opportunities in networks. It could also allow the government to impose new taxes and tariffs, which would increase consumer bills. And they say it could even allow the government to force network operators to share their infrastructure with competitors.

Wheeler has said these fears are overblown. The agency is ignoring aspects of the Title II regulation that would apply most of the onerous requirements.

He said critics have painted his proposal as "a secret plan to regulate the Internet."

His response to that? "Nonsense. This is no more a plan to regulate the Internet than the First Amendment is a plan to regulate free speech. They both stand for the same concept: openness." ~ CNET

These new rules will be published in the Federal Register within the next few weeks.

chuck_y

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really wish I knew how this will effect me and the other net users.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really wish I knew how this will effect me and the other net users.

Chances are that these cell phone carriers that advertise "unlimited internet" access won't be able to slow down the bandwidth once a data cap has been reached.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Netflix and other streaming services won't have to raise prices but I'm less concerned about the big guys.

A popular website or forum won't have to charge visitors more to pay an Internet provider extra money so that traffic won't be slowed down to them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Chances are that these cell phone carriers that advertise "unlimited internet" access won't be able to slow down the bandwidth once a data cap has been reached.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Has absolutely nothing to do with that. As long as providers accurately advertise caps and slowdowns, they are legal. Those that got into trouble did so because they advertised 'unlimited' data plans while either failing advertise, or hiding what they meant by unlimited (which was rather limiting in practice).

What net neutrality does is prevent providers from picking and choosing how to deliver content. For instance, if Comcast has it's own streaming video service it won't be allow to degrade Netflix speeds, or charge excessive fees. It prevents ISP's from using their networks as a lever to unfairly compete with other internet providers.

What it means for you the individual is that you should be able to choose your services no matter what ISP you use, not be forced to use whatever your ISP thinks is best for you.

This is the main intent and purpose of reclassifying ISPs as utilities. There may be other effects down the road, depending on whether the FCC eventually decides to enforce some of the restrictions that apply to utilities. They said the wouldn't, but, you know, government.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has absolutely nothing to do with that. As long as providers accurately advertise caps and slowdowns, they are legal. Those that got into trouble did so because they advertised 'unlimited' data plans while either failing advertise, or hiding what they meant by unlimited (which was rather limiting in practice).

What net neutrality does is prevent providers from picking and choosing how to deliver content. For instance, if Comcast has it's own streaming video service it won't be allow to degrade Netflix speeds, or charge excessive fees. It prevents ISP's from using their networks as a lever to unfairly compete with other internet providers.

What it means for you the individual is that you should be able to choose your services no matter what ISP you use, not be forced to use whatever your ISP thinks is best for you.

This is the main intent and purpose of reclassifying ISPs as utilities. There may be other effects down the road, depending on whether the FCC eventually decides to enforce some of the restrictions that apply to utilities. They said the wouldn't, but, you know, government.

The big worry for me is how they could end up tacking on fees and such. Or, somehow us working class stiffs get the bill for subsidizing the "poor and downtrodden" and making sure they get high speed internet too since its a "right" or whatever. Similar to subsidized heat or electricity. Just don't want to end up paying for other people's Internet.

And, of course, I don't want Govt meddling too much with costs, taxes, whatever else. Hopefully none of this happens but it is a concern.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, they 'promised' they wouldn't; so they should show some restraint. At least while the current commissioners are still in charge.

Also, the ISP's won't want it, the people don't want it, and it won't raise the salaries of the commissioners; so there's some hope of it not coming to pass. They would have to come up with a pretty good reason.

There is hope.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"The big worry for me is how they could end up tacking on fees and such. Or, somehow us working class stiffs get the bill for subsidizing the "poor and downtrodden" and making sure they get high speed internet" You already subsidize the free cell phones that get handed out like candy.

Chances are the same thing will happen with internet access.

Most reactions

Latest posts