What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Needhelp

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys I and my father use the same laptop so he has some songs in his iTunes and when I sync I get all his songs.So is there a way I can install new iTunes and not get the songs of the iTunes of my father?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you really can't have two iTunes on one computer.

However, you can make it so his songs don't sync to your iPad. When you connect your iPad, go to the Music tab in iTunes (label across the time of the main window). Either uncheck the sync box (and have no music selected) or keep the sync check and go through to remove your father's playlists and/or songs. Then, you can add your music (if there is any) by checking it.

When you are done unchecking and checking, click on the "Apply" button in the lower right corner of iTunes' window. iTunes will then do the work of getting your father's music off your iPad. And, if you keep his songs unchecked - you'll never get those songs on your iPad.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
Nikhil

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya I know that but i and my father are using same apple I'd for many of our products.So we are not able to sign in from all devices at a time.And even if I think about creatin new account then I downloaded 322 songs from iTunes well I can take care of it but now all my devices don't let me sign in same account.So if I create a new iTunes then I will upload all my songs to it and use them

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can have two iTunes libraries on one computer if you also have two user accounts on that computer. iTunes will create a separate library for each. That's a new Windows user on the computer. Not a new iTunes ID.

The initial setup will be a pain, as the empty library you get when you sign in as a new user on the computer will decide the iPad needs to be erased. You get around this by forcing a Transfer Purchases. Also, you need to authorize the computer in iTunes, again, and it will count against your total of 5 computers allowed to access that iTunes account.

Marilyn's solution is easier. You just have different sync profiles. iTunes remembers what you set to sync on each device, mostly. There are occasional hiccups with new purchases, but they aren't that hard to clean up.

But if you want a separate iTunes library on the same computer, that' how you do it.

OP
Nikhil

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You can have two iTunes libraries on one computer if you also have two user accounts on that computer. iTunes will create a separate library for each. That's a new Windows user on the computer. Not a new iTunes ID.

The initial setup will be a pain, as the empty library you get when you sign in as a new user on the computer will decide the iPad needs to be erased. You get around this by forcing a Transfer Purchases. Also, you need to authorize the computer in iTunes, again, and it will count against your total of 5 computers allowed to access that iTunes account.

Marilyn's solution is easier. You just have different sync profiles. iTunes remembers what you set to sync on each device, mostly. There are occasional hiccups with new purchases, but they aren't that hard to clean up.

But if you want a separate iTunes library on the same computer, that' how you do it.

I will go with your solution
Thanks for you both.

Most reactions

Latest posts