What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to free up storage space on iPad 3

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U image.png image.png My mother has an iPad 3 running IOS 9. A year ago she kept running out of iCloud space so I disabled it. Now her 16 GB iPad has run out of space because of all her photos.

I've decided to store everything back in iCloud again and just buy the $.99 monthly storage. Did I get everything enabled again so it will clear space on her iPad? Does it just slowly delete items on the iPad as it uploads to iCloud?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When things are backed up or held in iCloud, they are not deleted from your device. In your case, where you have iCloud Library and Optimize Photos switched on, the photos will use less space.
Maybe it is not just the photos that are using storage on this iPad. You can see a list of Apps and how much data they have by tapping on Manage Storage.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The snapshot shows some of her apps using the most dataimage.png
Ok I'm not sure how to clear out the data within app without actually deleting it or is this possible?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The biggest user of data here is Messages. It would help if you deleted old messages.
Different Apps vary how you remove or edit data. Most of the Apps aren’t using a lot of data. Only Music and Messages.

Last edited:
OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks I deleted almost all her old Messages hope she didn't want them. Lol
I can delete the music too but suppose I better ask about them.

Hopefully since I activated iCloud it will keep her photos stored on her iPad to a minimum.

Most reactions

Latest posts