What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not enough space for iOS 7 on iPad mini

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has an Ipad mini and I have an Ipad but we just have the one iTunes account in my wife's name and we both use it and have the same music on both iPads
Most of our music is from our own CD's.
I often use my Ipad to play music.
My wife rarely uses her Ipad to play music as she has an iPod.
Our music takes up nearly 6 gb of space.
When Ios 7 was introduced I updated my Ipad as I have adequate space but when I tried to update my wife's it said it needed more storage space as she only has 1.5 gb left
The only way of achieving that is to delete music from my wife's Ipad but if I do that will it delete it from iTunes because if it did then next time I sync my Ipad to iTunes I presume it will delete the music from my Ipad.
Is there any way round this.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you delete something from one iDevice it will still remain in iTunes. Also, anything that has been purchased from iTunes can always be re-downloaded again for free. You could also look at app sizes in Settings to see if you have any large apps that could be deleted to make room for the update.

The Archangel

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - :)I have taken a look at the Apps on her Ipad mini and there is nothing which I could remove would have a significant effect.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had to temporarily remove some music from both my mini and my iphone to upgrade. Having upgraded I then put back on the music by connecting to itunes and selecting the playlists I wanted.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, the sync settings are specific to the device, even if it has the same Apple account. If you turn off or change the sync settings for one device they should not affect the other device. You can easily have different music or no music on one device without affecting the other.

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you - I don't know much about how iTunes operates but I will take a look at the respective settings with a view to having different settings for the 2 iPads

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you - I don't know much about how iTunes operates but I will take a look at the respective settings with a view to having different settings for the 2 iPads

No problem.

I occasionally see a little app leakage after a sync, new apps going to a device I hand't intended, but music, books, movies, etc have always behaved very well with individual sync settings. Deleting the unwanted apps (never more than a couple) off the device fixes it, for those apps at any rate.

You'll also want to go to Settings > iTunes & App Store and turn off Automatic Downloads for any catagaory that you don't want syncing outside of iTunes. This only affect new purchases; when you buy something on one device it automatically downloads on the the other. There are similar setting in iTunes on the computer under the Preferences.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts