What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad (original) dropped Charter email HELP PLEASE

Ken1934

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've owned the original 16GB iPad for about two weeks. For the first 7 or 8 days I was excited by the very rapid access to my Charter email and the fact that the iPad allowed me to read and delete while preserving the messages on the server for subsequent download and reply (iPad isn't as easy as a real keyboard). Then, the iPad refused to contact Charter and I've tried every combination shown in the various problem responses that Google has provided and I've tried to match the still-working settings on my laptop and desktop. All three (LT, DT a & iPad) are on a wireless home network. The iPad accesses the internet without problem. It's the doggone SMTP, etc. settings that are driving me crazy for about a week now. "mail.charter.net"? "mobile.charter.net"? "smtp.charter.net"? POP mail servers, SMTP servers, etc. ???? I can't believe that I set this all up initially with no problem, lost it all with no (known) change to setup and can't recover despite trial and error interchanges of every (?) conceivable setting. I've tried to reproduce all suggested fixes to no avail. Did Charter make a significant change (like their new email program). Can anyone help? I would be very grateful for any suggestions!!!!
Ken Jordan

scottcocoabeach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Switch to google. I never understand why anyone uses the crappy email provided by their ISP's. With goggle you can switch providers and always keep your email address the same. Switch when using an ISP and you are going to lose it. Go ahead and make the change. If you have a forwarding option just point it to your gmail address until everyone you contact gets your new address.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've owned the original 16GB iPad for about two weeks. For the first 7 or 8 days I was excited by the very rapid access to my Charter email and the fact that the iPad allowed me to read and delete while preserving the messages on the server for subsequent download and reply (iPad isn't as easy as a real keyboard). Then, the iPad refused to contact Charter and I've tried every combination shown in the various problem responses that Google has provided and I've tried to match the still-working settings on my laptop and desktop. All three (LT, DT a & iPad) are on a wireless home network. The iPad accesses the internet without problem. It's the doggone SMTP, etc. settings that are driving me crazy for about a week now. "mail.charter.net"? "mobile.charter.net"? "smtp.charter.net"? POP mail servers, SMTP servers, etc. ???? I can't believe that I set this all up initially with no problem, lost it all with no (known) change to setup and can't recover despite trial and error interchanges of every (?) conceivable setting. I've tried to reproduce all suggested fixes to no avail. Did Charter make a significant change (like their new email program). Can anyone help? I would be very grateful for any suggestions!!!!
Ken Jordan

We're here to help!!!!

OK - before we get into the complicated stuff, let's try a couple of very simple things first that - in about 50% of the cases - solve the problem....

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

OK - it would be great if this fixed your problem but, problems being what they are, usually don't. Give it a try and get back to us if the problem is still there.

Tim
Scotland

OP
K

Ken1934

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks So Much!!!

That was easy! The shut down of the iPad did the trick. Your paragraph presented so much new info (turning off periodically, double-clicks and hold-downs, etc.) Is there someplace one can go to find a list of "tricks"? While i have your attention, is there a simple explanation of setting up VPN and do I really need VPN just to access email at a hotel or other public place. I have no confidential content on my iPad (at least not yet). Once again, thanks for the very helpful tip.
Ken

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was easy! The shut down of the iPad did the trick. Your paragraph presented so much new info (turning off periodically, double-clicks and hold-downs, etc.) Is there someplace one can go to find a list of "tricks"? While i have your attention, is there a simple explanation of setting up VPN and do I really need VPN just to access email at a hotel or other public place. I have no confidential content on my iPad (at least not yet). Once again, thanks for the very helpful tip.
Ken

I don't really know of any place all this information is located - other than the iPad manual (and iPad Forum, of course - there's a thread on Tips and Tricks)

Apple - Support - Manuals

I doubt whether a VPN is necessary - in any case, does your email service provider support the use of VPN? If not, it's not clear to me how you'd do this.

Have fun

Tim

kencook35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
charter email

I have the same problem, Ken. I am 75 and not a computer quick study. My son synched my new Ipad2 to desk top. Mail worked fine for a while. Now all I can get on IPad is "cannot get mail. The connection to the server failed". I can't even get Charter webmail via Safari. Ken from Wisconsin

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem, Ken. I am 75 and not a computer quick study. My son synched my new Ipad2 to desk top. Mail worked fine for a while. Now all I can get on IPad is "cannot get mail. The connection to the server failed". I can't even get Charter webmail via Safari. Ken from Wisconsin

Did you try the reset option in the posts above? It cures a whole load of unexplained problems.

Can you get any other websites using Safari? If you can't get Charter webmail or your mail via the iPad's Mail app, then it's unlikely to be a settings issue. So let us know if you can see any other websites - i.e. to be sure that your Internet connection is working OK.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts