What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad: About the purging feature for POP email accounts

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: About the purging feature for POP email accounts

• Last Modified: April 15, 2010
  • Article: HT1668

• Old Article: 306045

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: About the purging feature for POP email accountshttp://support.apple.com/kb/HT1668

Summary

When using a POP email account with iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, the Mail application will occasionally remove cached email messages from the following folders:

• Sent
  • Drafts
  • Trash
Note: This only affects the local copies of messages stored on the device, it does not affect messages that are kept on the server.1

Products Affected

iPhone, iPod touch, iPad

Unlike IMAP email accounts, POP email does not sync messages stored in the Sent, Drafts, and Trash folders with the POP email server. Mail stores email messages in these folders until the number of messages exceeds the number specified in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Show:
HT1668---en.png

This setting affects all POP email accounts configured on the device.
Example: When configured to show "25 Recent Messages", the Sent, Drafts, and Trash2 folders for all POP email accounts will begin deleting the oldest cached messages when their number is greater than 25 messages.

Additional Information

Notes:

1. The default setting on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch for POP accounts is to keep mail on the server. If you have changed the default setting on the iPhone, then the mail will only be stored on your iPhone.
  2. If you have the "Remove Deleted Messages" option set to Never, the purge feature still removes messages from the device based on the Show setting described above. However, the messages are still available on the server. Note that the "Remove Deleted Messages" setting is in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > (tap your email account) > Advanced.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
How about putting these faqs in a single post using links to the apple site, and making that post a sticky. I don't know that filling the forum with themnis all thatnhelpful. In a few weeks they will be buried severalmpages deep.

Just a suggestion :).

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about putting these faqs in a single post using links to the apple site, and making that post a sticky. I don't know that filling the forum with themnis all thatnhelpful. In a few weeks they will be buried severalmpages deep.

Just a suggestion :).

First I get them as separate notices too.
Second that is what we have a SEARCH FUNCTION for. Separate posts makes a certain problem easier to find as opposed to scrolling through 400 posts in a thread like the 3G support one.

I notice one or more of these posts already answers some nagging questions some have discussed in other threads. A person finding the answer here could post the iPadForums URL immediately to his discussion.

Individual posts allow the subject to be expanded with new findings or solutions.

If I could email them to this discussion board it would be simpler.

Other than the above your idea has merit. If that is what you and others still want to do I can change.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I agree with you, IF people would use the search function. But what usually happens on forums is there is a core of about 30 questions. These same questions are asked ,and answered ,over and over for the life of the forum. A simple search would have given the answer, but most will never use it.... anyway, it's cool.... I see your point.

Also just noticed all the typo's in the other post, I have been using the netbook some this morning, and it looks like I forgot how to type on it....

Most reactions

Latest posts