What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help! iPad question for individual with Down syndrome

12evanf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am working with an adult individual with Down syndrome. He is tasked everyday with sorting and organizing various small items, and his productivity drastically increases when he receives verbal prompts. What I am trying to do with an iPad is find an app, or any way to create timed, pre-recorded verbal messages to encourage him to keep up his work, take a break, etc. Anyway, I have found a few apps that come close but the problem I am encountering are the automatic push-notifications. He can't take the time to even push the button to get rid of the notification. Is there any app, or iPad setting that can bypass push notifications and just allow a verbal timed message to play, say at 1:15 pm every day of the week??? I need various messages to play over a 5 hour period and am hitting a dead end. I would really appreciate any input. Thank you!

caningit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like this person could really do well with an IPad. It also sounds like it would be great for him to increase his communication skills. Most of the programs that I have seen are communication programs. They cost a lot of money so do you have a way to pay for this.

In my opinion he needs more than just the ability to push one button to communicate with. He/you need a program where you can input photos to make it more individualized. So for example you could take pictures of his co-workers and then have them record their voices.

Take a look at Functional communication app and see if that will work for you.

Good luck!

tanveers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely, there are many apps that can help assist them. The device its self can help perform some of these operations for you. If the iPad is enabled with Siri, then this task becomes a lot easier for everyone. I'm sure there are many other apps out on the market that may be better suited, but I've came across an app called "Voice Secretary" It is a free app that allows you to set a reminder using your own voice to relay back the info. As far as the notification goes, on my device it shows up on Notification bar but a separate window does not appear. if your drop down the menu you can access the voice message and play again if needed. I am guessing that he can't be interrupted while he is performing a task and as pertains to my device it speaks the reminder that I set at a specific time and i can keep performing my current tasks without being interrupted through a prompt window. You can also repeat the voice alert for everyday, month, week, and so on.

Ben
Lead AV Tech

Most reactions

Latest posts