What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Helps Boy With Autism to Communicate

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Autism_app.JPG

The Herald-News has a great story today all about how using iPad apps is helping a young boy with autism to communicate. Jayden McCallum (pictured with his speech pathologist Lorrie Banks) is currently seven years old, and was diagnosed with autism when he was two. The report explains how Jayden and his fellow pupils in the STARS Autism program have been using an iPad app called Proloquo2Go to help him communicate. Previously Jayden was using a device called GoTalk, but according to the article it was not easy to add words to the device, which was also quite heavy to carry around and not particularly portable for a child. The iPad is of course much more portable, and the software much easier to programme and add to. The report says that before Jayden started using the iPad, he was only able to say one or two words at a time, and he found it difficult to pronounce words, now, since using Proloquo2Go, Jayden is able to say five and six words at a time. Since the advent of the iPad, many developers are actually coming up with apps specifically to help special needs children, with programmes such as Proloquo2Go being a case in point, as well as companies such as TouchAutism, who build mobile device apps for children with autism spectrum disorders, Down syndrome, intellectual disabilities and other special needs after finding out how useful such apps can be.

Source: http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/news/11729783-418/ipad-helps-boy-communicate.htm

Apps for Autism Spectrum Disorders, Down Syndrome and Special Needs - Touch Autism

App Store - Proloquo2Go

Tom811

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes indeed a great story. Nice to see technology helping those in need.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am considering setting up a sub form in app area just for this type of requirement as world wide I believe that many would be delighted to have a special section devotee to medical apps of this type. Your input will be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
I am considering setting up a sub form in app area just for this type of requirement as world wide I believe that many would be delighted to have a special section devotee to medical apps of this type. Your input will be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

I think that's a brilliant idea!

SKP1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is wonderful to hear. I have a relative with autism, but he is really drawn toward technology.

Do we know how long it takes an autistic child using the program to start seeing improvements? I know each medical condition is different, but just wandered on average.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is wonderful to hear. I have a relative with autism, but he is really drawn toward technology.

Do we know how long it takes an autistic child using the program to start seeing improvements? I know each medical condition is different, but just wandered on average.

That is very hard to say really, it is dependent on many different factors...just like other medical conditions. Even though two people may share the same diagnoses, does not mean that they will demonstrate the same signs/symptoms/prognoses and/or treatment regime. There may be predictors or trends that have been researched pertaining to children that have been diagnosed with Autism, that may be your best find there to help answer your question.

this man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course this is one of those apps that should be on other platforms as well. Certainly I'm glad the iPad enables this sort of app to be developed for a tablet.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My son has Autism and is extremely high functioning so unless you "know" him, you would never even suspect it. However, the school he went to for early intervention had quite a few non-verbal students and it was amazing watching them communicate through the iPad!:)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My son has Autism and is extremely high functioning so unless you "know" him, you would never even suspect it. However, the school he went to for early intervention had quite a few non-verbal students and it was amazing watching them communicate through the iPad!:)

That's wonderful to hear that the iPads were integrated like that in the school system, HappyPelican. I have heard many schools and pediatric clinics doing the same around my regions as well. Why not, I say...it can only help and enhance the experience and care for that child even more!

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's truly amazing how integrated the iPad has become in developing communication skills. My friends son is completely on-verbal but he can tell you everything on his beautiful mind through the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts