What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I put a Large PPT file on my iPad???

gunslinger21143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have large (its almost a gig is size), PPT file I want to put on my iPad to use when I travel, I have put other PPT files on my iPad before, I would just e-mail them to myself and open them and save them in keynote. But this file is way to big to e-mail. Can anyone help me???? Thanks...

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seems you don't have any other choice but to make a direct transfer.
Lots of ways to do that.

Liz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to give Dropbox a try. You get 2 gigs of space for free. What it does is put a folder on your computer that you just put files into and it automatically syncs them online. Then install the (free) app on your iPad and you can get to the file that way. If you make changes to either end it will sync those to the cloud so you'll always be up to date. According to the app it will open ppt files right in the app.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have saved some PowerPoint presentations that I have done as a PDF. Once you have done that, you can use any number of apps to view it. Actually, the free iBooks app works well for this. Just copy the PDF file and the paste it into iTunes. The next time you sync (peled is going to hate this part), the file will be under the PDF section of iBooks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the other suggestions aren't working for you (and I almost always like the versatility available for displaying PDF), here is how to make Keynote work for you, maybe.

Grab the iPad User's Guide. In Chapter 5 there is a section on File Sharing. This is how you manually load files into apps via iTunes. There is a limit to how big a Power Point the Keynote app will handle. I'm not sure what this is, so you'll just have to try. If it won't fit consider breaking your PowerPoint down into sections or chapters. Hopefully there is a way to do this that makes some kind of logical sense.

Link for PDF of iPad Users Guide: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf

Or you can use the iBooks app and go to the iBooks Store to download it in ePub format. Both app and book are free.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
goodreader. also goodreader has this way of transferring files without getting through itunes. there is a thread on that in the forum. couldnt find it right now though.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Transferring is one thing. Will a 1GB file display in an app on the iPad? The thing doesn't have that much ram.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Transferring is one thing. Will a 1GB file display in an app on the iPad? The thing doesn't have that much ram.

It's not a matter of RAM. I have several movies on my iPad, one of which is 2.5GB in size.

RAM may or may not make a difference. Some documents, like movies and music, do not need to be completely loaded in RAM, because they play sequentially. You can load what you need as you go.

Other's like spreadsheets need to be completely in RAM (or simulated RAM), or all the calculations may not work.

Power Points could fall either way, or probably more in between. They are mostly sequential when being displayed, but tend to need to be all there when being edited. A smart program could switch things in and out of RAM as needed. I don't know if Keynote is that smart.

At any rate, I remember another poster who had a 1.5 GB Power Point that he definitely could not get to run in Keynote. So, I don't know if 1GB will work or not. The only way to find out, since no one seems to know actual specs, it to try it and see.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Point taken... I suspect you'd have better luck with a PPT that had been saved as a PDF than with a PPT file and Docs To Go or Keynote. The later applications are editors and might be less forgiving of huge files.

Early on, GoodReader made a name for itself handling ridiculously large PDFs, so if iBooks can't handle it GoodReader might be worth a look.

OP
G

gunslinger21143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input, I tryed the DROPBOX thing, and in fact all the files from the PPT moved over and showed up on the iPad; but when I click on the file to run the PPT it loads up and than the iPad jumps to my main screen. I guess I should have said up front this PPT has video and sound to it. I see in Keynote where you can inport a file from iTunes, does anyone know how I can or where I would drop this file into iTunes and than import it? Thanks again for all your help.....

Most reactions