My Mini died!

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by mini user, Sep 6, 2016.

1. mini user

mini user
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Good morning, mini users. I have a most unusual occurrence. I was using my mini in the car for directions, as is not uncommon, and I noticed that it needed to be charged. Again, as is common, I plugged it in w/ the Verizon charger that I keep in there. I was holding it (I'm passenger), put it down for a sec, and when I picked it up it was DEAD. Would not turn any 'off-er' would not turn on (two button reset, etc...)

Has anyone experienced this, heard of it, have a solution or know anything about this? I will be taking it to the Verizon store on Fri.

thank you in advance for any information you may have to impart.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What happens if you connect the iPad to iTunes on your computer? Is it recognized by iTunes?

3. mini user

mini user
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ii had not thought of that...have never done so.....is there a link to directions on this site?

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    It's possible that the power management ic may have been damaged from plugging it into the car charger. This has been known to happen with 1st gen minis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are close to an Apple store it could be worth taking it in for a checkup.

Diagnostics are free, and you'll get some idea as to whether it's worth paying for any necessary repairs.

7. mini user

mini user
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure which gen I have, (I got it just under 3 yrs ago...9/24/13) but I think it is totally dead. I attached it to my desktop and opened iTunes & nothing, after trying the two-button reset again. Is this a problem w/later generations? I will also discard the Verizon car charger I was using on the off chance that it malfunctioned.

8. mini user

mini user
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for this suggestion. I will make an appt and have it checked out. Altho' the nearest Apple Store is over two hrs away, I could get in some serious shopping (!) at the same time....And I will repost w/results once it is checked.

9. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds dangerous. "Serious" shopping in an Apple store can have dire consequences for your bank balance. Have you SEEN the Mac Pro? And that new iPhone! WOW!

Take care.

10. mini user

mini user
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh, the damage is already done. Got a good deal on an iPad air....Labor Day sale......$300 off....The best time to buy is either holiday or when new stuff is coming out.Well, that's the best face I can put on this...;^)