What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad ownership

ferrispedro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all from a newbie. M Daughter gave me her ipad 1 when she upgraded. I have been using it with no problems up to now but today when I went to update some apps it brought up her Apple id and wanted a password. When I connect to itunes and when I go into settings it shows my details ok.How can I get her id off the ipad? Many thanks, Peter.

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ferrispedro said:
Hello all from a newbie. M Daughter gave me her ipad 1 when she upgraded. I have been using it with no problems up to now but today when I went to update some apps it brought up her Apple id and wanted a password. When I connect to itunes and when I go into settings it shows my details ok.How can I get her id off the ipad? Many thanks, Peter.

Hi are the apps hers or yours. If their hers you have to delete and repurchase .

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any apps acquired by an appleid that belongs to your daughter belongs to your daughter, as maxtwo indicated. You have to get your own appleid and password. You also need to reset your iPad to clear out any apps or photos or music that she had put on the iPad she gave to you. I would also re-name your iPad to "your iPad" and register it independently of your daughter.

Or you can discuss with your daughter the possibility of keeping everything in her name but she must share her password with you. Then anything she buys or you buy is based on the appleid that is your daughter's. I have three iPads (why? don't ask), each iPad is named differently. All three iPads have the ability to install any app/book/music/photo acquired on any of these iPads. Since they are all within the same family, I am still within 'legal' use rules.

Going through one appleid also enables your to access one iCloud account. This is a very helpful feature as you can activate "find my iPad (iPhone)" app in case you or your daughter's iPad takes a walk. Of course, if you decide to go the indiviual route, you can still sign up for your own iCloud account.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts