What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 does not want to lock.

mortigisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
My iPad 2 does not want to lock. This is not a hardware problem because if I keep the sleep/wake button pressed I am propted to "Swipe to power off". If I enable assistive touch and select "Lock Screen" nothing happens. I have restored it 3-4 times know it is running iOS 6.1.3 not jailbroken. I have not been able to find my solution anywhere. I am just really confused because it worked before I updated.
Thanks)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
My iPad 2 does not want to lock. This is not a hardware problem because if I keep the sleep/wake button pressed I am propted to "Swipe to power off". If I enable assistive touch and select "Lock Screen" nothing happens. I have restored it 3-4 times know it is running iOS 6.1.3 not jailbroken. I have not been able to find my solution anywhere. I am just really confused because it worked before I updated.
Thanks)

Hi there! Welcome to iPF!

Did you set a time in Settings - General - Auto-Lock?

image-1118603991.jpg

If you did so, please inform if it's working or not.
Also, there's the question if you use a Smart Cover, and if so, how it works.

The only advice I could give you so far would be to reset your iPad. Go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks)

Do you mean that you can't turn off your iPad, or do you mean that you can't password lock your iPad?

OP
mortigisto

mortigisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome to iPF!

Did you set a time in Settings - General - Auto-Lock?

View attachment 44908

If you did so, please inform if it's working or not.
Also, there's the question if you use a Smart Cover, and if so, how it works.

The only advice I could give you so far would be to reset your iPad. Go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings.
Yup, it's working only this way. iPad doesn't react Smart Cover - there isn't even "lock/unlock with iPad cover" or smth like that in settings.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, it's working only this way. iPad doesn't react Smart Cover - there isn't even "lock/unlock with iPad cover" or smth like that in settings.

It's possible your Smart Cover is not compatible with your iPad. Apple did change the polarity alignment of the magnets in the cover, which could affect its operation with certain iPads. Have you tried it with another Smart Cover? The settings option to lock/unlock with iPad cover doesn't appear in the settings menu until the first time a Smart Cover is successfully used.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, it's working only this way.

I guess rebooting or restarting didn't help.

You could try to reset all settings, as suggested in my first post.
Or perhaps there's something wrong with your backup. (I see you restored your device a few times.) Maybe setting up as new will solve your problem.

OP
mortigisto

mortigisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible your Smart Cover is not compatible with your iPad. Apple did change the polarity alignment of the magnets in the cover, which could affect its operation with certain iPads. Have you tried it with another Smart Cover? The settings option to lock/unlock with iPad cover doesn't appear in the settings menu until the first time a Smart Cover is successfully used.
When I bought it it worked, but now it doesn't and I've tried another cover (Zazzle) and it also doesnt' work.
Thank you for your quick replies)

OP
mortigisto

mortigisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess rebooting or restarting didn't help.

You could try to reset all settings, as suggested in my first post.
Or perhaps there's something wrong with your backup. (I see you restored your device a few times.) Maybe setting up as new will solve your problem.
I've reset all settings, restored it as new, I even installed iOS 7 - nothing changed :(
Tack så mycket :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've reset all settings, restored it as new, I even installed iOS 7 - nothing changed :(

:)
I don't know of any other way to fix this. Perhaps it's time to ask Apple for help/visit the next Apple store.
Or wait for better suggestions than mine. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The magnet sensor could have gone bad or got stuck. Try thumping the area where the cover closes (gently). I can't think of anything else. And since you've installed iOS 7, I can't even suggest where to look software wise. Could even be a bug in iOS 7, for all I know.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Try taking your cover, don't connect it, but slowly move it up the face of your iPad on the right hand side and see if the magnet does activate at some point.

Alternatively you could try with a very small magnet to find this point.....once found, the lock/unlock setting should appear. Hope this helps.

OP
mortigisto

mortigisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try taking your cover, don't connect it, but slowly move it up the face of your iPad on the right hand side and see if the magnet does activate at some point. Alternatively you could try with a very small magnet to find this point.....once found, the lock/unlock setting should appear. Hope this helps.
Thanks, but it didn't work:(

OP
mortigisto

mortigisto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The magnet sensor could have gone bad or got stuck. Try thumping the area where the cover closes (gently). I can't think of anything else. And since you've installed iOS 7, I can't even suggest where to look software wise. Could even be a bug in iOS 7, for all I know.
I'm now back on iOS 6.1.3

Most reactions

Latest posts