What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Home Automation iPad work in progress

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I would share how I am using my iPad to control some of my lights and other electronics. I am really happy with how it is working out.

I am controlling my appliances with insteon modules on the hardware side and Indigo 4 on the software side of things. One of Indigo's features is a web server. The webpages it serves all update whenever there is change. That's what allows the iPad to interact with Indigo.

I am a Star Trek fan so I tried to make my first version look like trek padd. The top buttons activate macros that change several devices with one press. The middle section allows the devices to be controlled directly. The bottom section is misc. buttons. Below is a grab of how it looks now.

Any one else doing any sort of home automation with their iPad? What software and hardware are you using?

img0005pj.png

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Wot

That's a wonderful interface you have there.

Wish you can roll out a Star Trek app for the iPad in future.

Maybe for the next Star Trek movie, they'll be using modified iPads :D

Incidentally, how on earth can you feed your cat via Insteon ?

We have some X10 home automation modules here in SGP, but I've never seen a web interface that links back to port 8176 to control home appliances with the exception of some surveillance devices.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I really have been thinking of doing this, but dont have the cash right now.

can you list all the hardware your using and what device you have connected to your Mac to communicate with all the modules?

and not sure if you know, but indigo had an iphone/iPad app! Have you tried it? is it any good?

Last edited:
OP
wot_fan

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't expect to see this thread again.

@ Fotonutz
I have an automatic feeder (see pic) plugged into an insteon appliance module. The feeder is setup to dispense a preset amount of food when powered so I just have Indigo (software on my Mac) turn on the feeder for a few minutes 4 times a day. I can also activate the feeder at any time using the trek web page I made. I have the same setup for my Litter-Robot automatic litterbox.
csfcombo3xlst149_245.jpg

@ Hasty
Years ago my mom was into making stained glass stuff. She made me a bunch of things including a batman lamp. Even though I am too old to be into Batman, I still have it in my living room because she made it (and I think it's cool ;)). Here is a bad pic taken with my phone of it.
img0064l.jpg

@ MikesTooLz
Yes I have tried the Insteon app. It works well but it is too generic for my taste. I prefer to use the tools in the Mac Insteon app to make web pages (like the one in the first post). In addition to looking the way you want, it has the added benefit of being accessible from any device that has a web browser.

My system is still very basic, but here is what I have:
Indigo V4 - Mac Home Automation Software
Indigo Powerlinc - Connects my Mac via USB to the Indigo network. Also controls my devices when my Mac is off.
Insteon Access Points x 2 - Allows wireless remotes to control system
Insteon Lamplinc Modules x 5 - Lamp modules that support dimming
Insteon Appliancelinc Modules x 4 - On/Off modules

rmz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
star trek

Really nice job! Is there anyway you could share your html code/site?

Most reactions

Latest posts