What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music writing

Patrick9654

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone found any good apps for writing music? I used Finale Notepad on my p c but I would like to have something on my ipad I could use.
Thanks

laniksing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Symphonic Evolution. $14.99. ! Do I need Finale anymore? Need an AirPrint printer!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use AutoRap from Too Much Bling, Incorporated. It automatically adds naughty words; changes womenfolks's names to the "W" word and in comes with a free autotune addon in case you lack musical talent. It comes with filters to filter out anything related to musical form. I must warn you, however . . . you must sign with Death Row Records when you register the software or some people visit you in the night and shoot at you.

Or you can try Cakewalk.

How complex do you want to go? Do you know music or are you a beginner. Are you thinking that creating music with Cakewalk will be a cakewalk?

If you need help with banjo rolls, I can help you. Just sayin'. I was in the Music city Marching Band so I can help you with your trumpet tracks.

I still remember a few things like Hemidemiseriquavers. I can't play them reliably; I just mention them to impress people.​

ZenLizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By "writing music" do you mean music notation? Or sequencing? Or multi-tracking? Writing music means different things to different people, or so it seems.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
ZenLizard said:
By "writing music" do you mean music notation? Or sequencing? Or multi-tracking? Writing music means different things to different people, or so it seems.

Now I feel very old since this ........

image-2710250960.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scherzo_in_A_flat_(Borodin).png

is what writing music means to me.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ZenLizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's okay. That's my definition too, but if I had a dollar for every time someone said to me, "I wrote this song..." When they have nothing on paper, I'd have more dollars than... Well, I'd have at least another fifty bucks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Symphonic Evolution. $14.99. ! Do I need Finale anymore? Need an AirPrint printer!

Well, maybe not! :D

If you have a non-AirPrint printer, there are software options; for myself, I've been using FingerPrint from Collobos HERE for nearly 2 yrs - allows me to print from my iPad to my ink jet & laser printers which are not AirPrint compatible - just a small program placed on your computer - check the link - certainly a lot cheaper that a new printer!

BTW - welcome to the forum - :)

catyyog01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't heard an app for music writing before,i have great interesting and want to have a try,thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Came upon this question by accident ... sorry to be so late to the party.

One app I like to use to create musical scores is "Notion." Yea, it's pretty pricey at $14.99 (USD), but it allows you to make all kinds of scores. You use a keyboard to play the notes and the app inputs them on the score.

Plus, you can import a MIDI file to create a score from it. You can also import PDFs for modifications; or import from Dropbox (cloud storage). Then, you can export (from the app) the score as a Notion file (compatible with the xxx program), a MIDI, AAC or WAV file, a PDF, MusicXML, etc. I find it to be very versatile.

The biggest limitation (for me) is that there is only two measures per line, making it a bit restrictive. However, I hear that more measures per line is coming in an update. We'll see...

Anyway. Just another recommendation. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts