What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple photos in iphoto

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the new iphoto app in the last couple of days and I'm having a lot of fun with it (particularly like the 'Journals' section) but I've come across a weird thing. When I go to the 'photos' tab, lots of my images have been duplicated several times; not all, some x3, some x5. It's not because they appear in multiple albums, or that I've edited them several times, and when I look in the albums the images belong to they just appear once. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? And is there a way to delete the excess images from the 'photos' tab (couldn't find any solution in the iphoto help bit)? Any help would be appreciated.

OP
hilsroo

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A further update - each time I went into the photos tab a label 'updating photos tab' came up and added yet more copies of the same pics! I tired a reset; no joy, same again. In the end I deleted the app and re-installed. The photo tab still has multiple copies of some pics, but 3 max. Here's hoping it's sorted out now!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are using iCloud for backup & syncing purposes (I am not @ the moment), photo duplication via the PhotoStream option may be the issue - check out this Apple Support Discussion for more details.

Please post back to this thread if you find a solution - this has been a common complaint and others may find your comments useful - :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, given the date on the linked article I'm thinking they were talking about iPhoto on the Mac. I believe the OP is talking about iPhoto on the iPad. I doubt they are related, unless hilsroo is using both.

Unfortunately, this bit of negative commentary is all I have to offer at this time. I haven't seen this issue so far, but then again I've only played with the new iPhoto app for about an hour. Sorry.

OP
hilsroo

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
If you are using iCloud for backup & syncing purposes (I am not @ the moment), photo duplication via the PhotoStream option may be the issue - check out this Apple Support Discussion for more details.

Please post back to this thread if you find a solution - this has been a common complaint and others may find your comments useful - :)

Not a solution as such, girardman, but I've just been through and used the 'hide' function on all the excess copies of pics. Since I re-installed it seems to have stopped adding more copies...we'll see! Hope so- the 'hide' thing took quite a bit of time and amounted to about 800 images in all. Interestingly, the vast majority (though not all) of pics copied were of my immediate family, who obviously appear lots of times in the various albums - some sort of face recognition thing going on??? I had a look at the reference you suggested and, yes, it does refer to iphoto on the Mac, but it's interesting they had similar problems with the duplication thing. Someone brought out some software for the Mac called Duplicate Annihilator - like the sound of that, maybe there'll be something similar for iOS! Also, there doesn't seem to be anything on the App feedback to suggest anyone else is having this issue, so I've added my two-penn'orth and we'll see what happens!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, sorry about your problem - I also put iPhoto on my iPad 2 and have just started to use the program and this morning noted single duplications of a handful of photos (and I'm not using the Cloud for backup or streaming). So, did a little searching again and this apparently also occurs w/ the iOS version of iPhoto (which of course is already known to us!) - if interested, look at This Discussion.

So, now I'll be curious to see if Apple comes out w/ an update to iPhoto in the near future? :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Played around some more. Still could not duplicate the problem. Guess I'm lucky, or it's waiting to pounce when I least expect it.

Something I'm not doing is syncing Events from iPhoto on the Mac. Are either of you doing this? I am using Faces and Places.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Played around some more. Still could not duplicate the problem. Guess I'm lucky, or it's waiting to pounce when I least expect it.

Something I'm not doing is syncing Events from iPhoto on the Mac. Are either of you doing this? I am using Faces and Places.

Hi TP - I sync w/ a PC laptop at the moment; just did an iTunes sync after I upgraded to iOS 5.1 and after I had added iPhoto - can't recall now if those duplicated images were there from the beginning, but don't think so? For me the number is just several and not a nuisance, at least yet?

OP
hilsroo

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

No, I don't have a Mac, faces or Places, so I don't have that problem at least(;))

But my annoying problem hasn't gone away as I'd hoped. Went back into iphoto just now and the cloning's happened again; 2 or3 copies of multiple photos. And ALL are of my immediate family (myself, husband, 2 kids). I have albums with good close up shots of other family members but these have not been copied, unless one of us is in the pic with them. Spooky! So it makes me think there must be some face recognition thing going on...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Just trying to eliminate things. I don't recall reading anything about face recognition in the iPad version of iPhoto, nor have I run into it while playing around. I may go back and read some of the reviews just to be sure.

Another random thought:

Do you have any photos in the Events tab in iPhoto? Any possible correlation there?

OP
hilsroo

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have some photos in events, yes, but though some albums have duplicated pics, others do not. So I don't think that can be it...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh well. I'm out of ideas then, at least for now. I almost wish it would happen to me, so I could trouble shoot it. Almost, but not quite. ;)

JezJezJez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also getting this duplication problem when I use the 'photos' tab within iPhoto (but not when I select 'albums'). I too am synching with iCloud so maybe that's got something to do with it. I don't see the duplication when I use the standard photos app that came with the iPad.

BTW I really like iPhoto but more for the Journals than the actual editing itself, as think Snapseed is far superior IMO for my needs. I also think iPhoto is quite buggy so hopefully there will be an update soon. however to reiterate my earlier point, the Journals side is fantastic

OP
hilsroo

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JezJezJez said:
I'm also getting this duplication problem when I use the 'photos' tab within iPhoto (but not when I select 'albums'). I too am synching with iCloud so maybe that's got something to do with it. I don't see the duplication when I use the standard photos app that came with the iPad.]

Exactly the same here, except I don't have synching with icloud. I agree with your comment about the journals bit though - that particular function's a lot of fun! Except that I've tried deleting then reinstalling the app a couple of times to try and shake off the annoying duplication thing...and of course lost my carefully crafted journals... :(

OP
hilsroo

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, mis-posted! The second bit of the quoted section is mine!:/

Most reactions

Latest posts