What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple iPads in my house

loan_arranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband and I each have an iPad. However, since I got mine first, everything syncs to my name and email address. How do I make his iPad unique to him and stop the general syncing.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My husband and I each have an iPad. However, since I got mine first, everything syncs to my name and email address. How do I make his iPad unique to him and stop the general syncing.
Welcome to the iPad forums, the largest and best iPad forum anywhere, with over 275,000 members worldwide.
If you have any more questions and a search of the forums doesn't provide the answer you need,don't hesitate to say any questions you may have in the appropriate forums.
Here are the forum rules for you to read.Forum rules

Your husband would have to erase his iPad and restore it to factory settings. He'll then have to set up his own Apple ID and password. He'll no longer be able to share any apps bought with your user ID, but will have to purchase his own copies of any apps you both currently share.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or you could keep sharing the same iTunes account and click off manually on iTunes whatever you don't want to synch -- music, movies, etc. You could still share apps if you like. iTunes recognize separate iDevices and each can have its own profile, even synched to the same iTunes account. The content of my iPads, touch and iPhone are all different, but all on one iTunes account. My husband inherited my iPhone 4 and touch 4, and stills synchs to my iTunes account.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The easiest way to continue sharing apps, music, etcetera; but have individual email other services is to create a separate iCloud account for your husband. Or if he already has email, calendars, etc on another service you can turn off iCloud under Settings > iCloud and set up his accounts under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

iTunes and iCloud accounts can, and often are, the same; but they do not have to be. You sign in's for the various iStores (iTunes, App, iBooks, etc.) and iCloud (iMessages, FaceTime, Backups, etc) are kept separate

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

Gouldred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My scenario is the following:

I have two iPads, two iPhones, and two iPod Touches that are currently linked to one main iTunes store account and all share the same iCloud account as well. When I registered each device I did not understand that each could have their own iCloud account. Well, now that I am running low on the free 5 GB that is provided I want to give my wife (iPad and iPhone) one iCloud account, my son and daughter (iPod touches) an iCloud account and myself (iPad and iPhone) one iCloud account. For each new account will we receive 5 GBs? More importantly, if I switch my wife and kids accounts to their own iCloud accounts (but still retaining the same iTunes account) will I suspend their devices for 90 days or does that just happen if you go and switch itune accounts.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, each account will get it's own 5GB.

The 90 suspension has to do with being able to switch between iCloud accounts. It would only apply if you tried to switch back to the previous iCloud account before 90 days have occurred. This was put in place mostly to plug a hole where people could have shared music between iTunes accounts using iTunes Match (which is associated with the iCloud account).

It should not affect your iTunes account, especially since you're not going to switch the iTunes accounts on the devices.

Hold in mind this is only my understanding of how things work. I've had no reason to play with multiple iCloud accounts myself.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yes, each account will get it's own 5GB.

The 90 suspension has to do with being able to switch between iCloud accounts. It would only apply if you tried to switch back to the previous iCloud account before 90 days have occurred. This was put in place mostly to plug a hole where people could have shared music between iTunes accounts using iTunes Match (which is associated with the iCloud account).

It should not affect your iTunes account, especially since you're not going to switch the iTunes accounts on the devices.

Hold in mind this is only my understanding of how things work. I've had no reason to play with multiple iCloud accounts myself.

I may have done something odd when I set them up, but I have two iTunes accounts. One shares iCloud between two devices and the other has a separate iCloud acct. the two devices share the available cloud space, the third device has full use of its individual space. The two can (and do) share apps while the third does not. These are all three set up with the same pay account and my name. I'm not sure if this helps, but you can see what Twerppoet is saying does work (and it's only odd because I have it set up both ways, but it works for me). I recommend you draw it out on paper to make sure the right device is set up on the right iTunes/iCloud before pulling the trigger.

Most reactions

Latest posts