What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad multiple e mail sending

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you mean multiple recipients?

In the To: field just type the next name...then the next and the next...if you don't have them in your address book I think you use a semi-colon to seperate addresses...might be a comma tho....when it gets outlined in a blue pill it is in appropriately.

OP
G

Glahhahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I mean is,sending multiple e mails without typing all the time,can I highlight them or something to send multiple

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest way is to use a third-party app called MailShot.

The basic iPad only has partial support for Groups. If you imported a Contacts list from a PC or Mac that had some groups already set up, then the iPad Contacts list will display them, but you cannot (from within the iPad) add new Groups.

If you *do* already have Groups set up from an imported contacts list then, when you try to send an email from the resident iPad email app, you'll see - when you go into the 'To', 'cc', 'bcc' box a small '+' that appears at the right hand side of the box. If you touch that '+' then your contacts list will pop up and you can 'see' your groups there. That's where the good news stops because you'll find that now you have to select the members of that group one-by-one.

The MailShot app overcomes this problem. From within MailShot you can set up 'groups' in your native iPad Contacts list that appear as a single address entry - i.e. not really as a group. For example, in MailShot, I can set up a MailShot group address called 'Family' that contains entries for 'Mum', 'Dad', 'Brother', 'Sister' etc. These appear as a single normal entry in my native Contacts list. So, now, when I'm in the iPad mail app and I want to send to every member of my family I simply type 'Family' into the 'To' field.

The iPad email app treats 'Family' as though it were a completely 'normal' email address (i.e. it will try to autocomplete it if you have that function enabled) but, when you send the email, it sends it to every member of the 'Family' group.

After the email has been sent, if you look at your 'Sent' mail, you'll see that the MailShot group 'Family' has 'expanded' and the individual email addresses are listed.

MailShot has been getting rave reviews (some from me - though I have absolutely no relationship with the company that markets it). You can download a limited copy of the app for free (try before you buy - limited to 5 groups of 5 members per group) or use the in-app upgrade (very reasonably priced) to unlock the full app potential.

The best thing about this app is that, unlike all the other third party apps, it works with the native iPad Contacts list and email app and provides a very easy way to edit/organise contacts. MailShot group contacts display as single entries if you look at them using the iPad's Contacts app, but you'll see all the members of the group listed there and they've put a pretty icon into the image holder of the contact so you can readily see it's a MailShot group.

Sorry to have rambled on so much. If, like me, you are mailing to multiple recipients all the time, then this app is an absolute must have.

Tim
Scotland

OP
G

Glahhahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I bother you to ask you,how do I get different colours in my calendar without buying an iMac,it can confuse me with blue slots,I end up double booking clients,
Thank you

Stevie
Scotland

Attachments

• image-2896530605.jpg
    image-2896530605.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 445

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I bother you to ask you,how do I get different colours in my calendar without buying an iMac,it can confuse me with blue slots,I end up double booking clients,
Thank you

Stevie
Scotland

Sorry for my slow reply. I've been looking into this. On a standalone iPad there is no way to accomplish this. The outlook is similar if you have an iPad and a PC.

If you have a Mac and an iPad, there is a workaround if you use the iCal calendar program on the Mac. In iCal you can choose the colours for different calendars and different events and, if you sync your iCal calendar on the Mac with the iPad, those colours will transfer.

I'm not a Mac user, so I'm afraid I can't confirm this. In any case, having to sync your iCal calendar with the iPad just to get the iPad event colours to change is hardly a solution. So probably, if you're a 'standalone' iPad user, the only solution is to use a third-party calendar app.

Maybe some kind Forum members would suggest which would best suit your needs?

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you

Stevie
Scotland

Took me a while to track it down, because it was right in front of my nose, I suppose.

You can do this with a free GMail account.

First, you'll need the account if you don't have one. Just go to Google and sign up. It is free. It includes a Calendar account. I won't go into details, but you can set up multiple calendars here. They each get their own color. Set them up now, it will save going back and forth later.

Second. You set up your iPad Google account under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Do not use the GMail option. If you already have your account set up this way, delete it. Don't worry, you won't lose anything as long as it is still on the server.

Instead follow these instructions.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

At one point before you save you will have the options to sync Mail, Calendars, and Contacts. Be sure to pay attention to the instructions and only turn on those you actually want, or risk duplicating contacts. If you change your mind you can turn them on later.

When you are done with the basic set up, you'll only see your primary calendar from Google. At the bottom of the instruction page you'll see this link.

Choosing Which Calendars to Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

It will tell you how to go into to Google Sync and enable your remaining calendars for syncing. It is not entirely intuitive, but I managed to stumble through it. Be sure to save the Google Sync page like it says. You may want to get to it easily and make changes later.

BTW, I tried this first with just my normal GMail account set up, and the calendars will not appear using it. You have to use the Exchange setup method.

If you don't see your calendars appear select the Calendar button in iCal and see if they show up there. Make sure they are selected (check mark next to them) or the events won't show up in the calendar view.

Hope this does what you want.

Update: Just noticed you can't visit the sync setup page on a computer. It redirects you. You must visit the page m.google.com/sync using Safari on the iPad to complete the setup.

Last edited:
OP
G

Glahhahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Took me a while to track it down, because it was right in front of my nose, I suppose.

First, you'll need the account if you don't have one. Just go to Google and sign up. It is free. It includes a Calendar account. I won't go into details, but you can set up multiple calendars here. They each get their own color. Set them up now, it will save going back and forth later.

Second. You set up your iPad Google account under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Do not use the GMail option. If you already have your account set up this way, delete it. Don't worry, you won't lose anything as long as it is still on the server.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

At one point before you save you will have the options to sync Mail, Calendars, and Contacts. Be sure to pay attention to the instructions and only turn on those you actually want, or risk duplicating contacts. If you change your mind you can turn them on later.

When you are done with the basic set up, you'll only see your primary calendar from Google. At the bottom of the instruction page you'll see this link.

Choosing Which Calendars to Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

It will tell you how to go into to Google Sync and enable your remaining calendars for syncing. It is not entirely intuitive, but I managed to stumble through it. Be sure to save the Google Sync page like it says. You may want to get to it easily and make changes later.

BTW, I tried this first with just my normal GMail account set up, and the calendars will not appear using it. You have to use the Exchange setup method.

If you don't see your calendars appear select the Calendar button in iCal and see if they show up there. Make sure they are selected (check mark next to them) or the events won't show up in the calendar view.

Update: Just noticed you can't visit the sync setup page on a computer. It redirects you. You must visit the page m.google.com/sync using Safari on the iPad to complete the setup.

Many thanks

Why does mail shot or slot keep saying it can't send my e mails,does it now and again

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Many thanks

Why does mail shot or slot keep saying it can't send my e mails,does it now and again

I don't think this is a MailShot problem. MailShot simply formats the entry in your iPad's Contacts database and then the native iPad mail app uses this. It's more likely to be a different issue here (though, of course, nothing is impossible in this world!).

Are there specific addresses that are causing the trouble? i.e do some MailShot groups work OK and others don't? As usual, it's worth trying the nearly universal quick fix for iPad problems - turn the iPad *completely* off and then on again. I'm sure you know how to do this but just in case ..... press *and hold* the power button for a couple of seconds until the slider appears inviting you to confirm that you want to turn the iPad off. Accept and wait for a few seconds for the iPad to completely power down - a rotating white 'bezel' on the screen shows the power-down is in progress. When the screen has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the power button for a couple of seconds until the Apple logo appears. It takes about 10 seconds for the iPad to power up and for the Home screen to re-appear. The iPad plays a little 'jingle' just before the power up is complete.

Apple recommend that you power down the iPad completely about once a week, it seems to cure any number of unexplained 'problems'; I've had mail problems too that this 'fix' has cured.

Let us know how you get on.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions