What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MP4 and M4V not showing in iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So for whatever reason, my MP4s and M4Vs are no longer showing up in iTunes. If I go to drag the file into the movies section, it doesn't show. If I manually add the file to iTunes (file > open add file), it still doesn't show. I thought the issue was that the files were transcoded (through Handbrake) on my Vista laptop, but now that I'm syncing through my desktop (an XP), there would be an OS problem.

This isn't the case because with my Hunger Games blu-ray, I downloaded the digital copy into iTunes from my XP desktop. I removed it from iTunes and then dragged it back into iTunes -- it didn't show. I tried manually adding it and it still didn't show.

Here are some other bits of info:

• I'm on the latest version of iTunes and iOS.
  • MP4s were transcoded with the presets for iPad in Handbrake.
  • The M4Vs (all the official digital copies I have from purchased blu-rays) were all "officially" transferred to my desktop.
  • All the MP4s and M4Vs were playable/added to iTunes on my Vista laptop (and in case you're wondering, the reason why I transferred everything from my laptop to my desktop is because I had to get rid of the laptop).
I really don't understand what the issue is. Again, I thought it was me going from Vista to XP, but that isn't the issue, evidenced by the Hunger Games digital copy.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

D

dvdcatalyst

Strange issue, especially since its with both digital copies and handbrake files.

Since you moved from one computer to another, you might be using an external drive or a nas. Maybe try copying over a few video files (ignore the "digital copies" at this point, just do your Handbrake videos) directly to your XP machine, and see if they are added then.

Also try and play a few of your files in Quicktime to see if that still likes them.

If that also doesn't work, try resetting the warnings in iTunes' preferences:

reset.jpg

The user-profile location is different, (XP: c:\documents and settings\username, Vista: c:\users\username). If you backed up your playlists and such from iTunes on your Vista system, it could be that your iTunes folder path is not set correctly here. While you are in the preferences, you might as well check that, and make sure the folder exists.

If there is an issue with the files, after the warning reset, iTunes will complain if there is something wrong when you try and add them.

Something else to try would be to connect your iPad, then in its settings-page in iTunes, enable "Manually Manage" and then rather than trying to add your videos to iTunes' Library, drag them directly over to your iPad's movies folder, and see if that works.

Goodluck.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you moved from one computer to another, you might be using an external drive or a nas. Maybe try copying over a few video files (ignore the "digital copies" at this point, just do your Handbrake videos) directly to your XP machine, and see if they are added then.

I should have mentioned that in the original post. I tried that, but to no avail. My files are on an external, but for $hits and giggles, I transferred one of each (MP4 and M4V) to the XP desktop.

Also try and play a few of your files in Quicktime to see if that still likes them.
I have not tried this. If it doesn't play in Quicktime, what does that mean? They need to be re-transcoded?

If that also doesn't work, try resetting the warnings in iTunes' preferences:

The user-profile location is different, (XP: c:\documents and settings\username, Vista: c:\users\username). If you backed up your playlists and such from iTunes on your Vista system, it could be that your iTunes folder path is not set correctly here. While you are in the preferences, you might as well check that, and make sure the folder exists.

If there is an issue with the files, after the warning reset, iTunes will complain if there is something wrong when you try and add them.

Something else to try would be to connect your iPad, then in its settings-page in iTunes, enable "Manually Manage" and then rather than trying to add your videos to iTunes' Library, drag them directly over to your iPad's movies folder, and see if that works.

All VERY good tips. Thanks for the informative post. I'll try these last bits here. I hope it works. I love my movies lol.

For what it's worth, I already reinstalled/uninstalled iTunes.

D

dvdcatalyst

I should have mentioned that in the original post. I tried that, but to no avail. My files are on an external, but for $hits and giggles, I transferred one of each (MP4 and M4V) to the XP desktop.

I have not tried this. If it doesn't play in Quicktime, what does that mean? They need to be re-transcoded?

All VERY good tips. Thanks for the informative post. I'll try these last bits here. I hope it works. I love my movies lol.

For what it's worth, I already reinstalled/uninstalled iTunes.

You are welcome verbalj.

I love my movies too :)

The reason I suggested trying to play the files in Quicktime is because it is "picky" Of course there are better players such as VLC, which plays just about everything, but because of that reason, I don't recommend using it for troubleshooting compatibility issues with your video files. While Quicktime can play a bit more than what an iPad/iPhone is capable of, if the file has an issue for whatever reason, Quicktime will likely choke on it, so if it plays in quicktime, the chance that the file is iTunes-compatible is a lot bigger. Other players might ignore small issues, such as a corrupt header, or, in the case of VLC, be able to play an incomplete file, but Quicktime will refuse. It's an easy trick, and since with iTunes usually Quicktime is installed as well (it used to be bundled with iTunes), its a quick and easy test. If quicktime doesn't play it, iTunes will certainly not like the file either.

As for bypassing the Digital Copy issue you are experiencing, it seems to be related to the same issue you are experiencing, but because those darn things require activation in your iTunes account due to the DRM, it is easier to work with your own converted files first, since they do not have that DRM. Once you get your normal files to appear, the Digital Copy files shouldn't be too hard to deal with.

Just to make sure, based on your first email, I did assume that the files you are trying to get into your iTunes are files that worked in iTunes on your other computer. If you never did have those files in iTunes before, it could be an encoding issue with your video files.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Makes sense about Quicktime. If it's not playable, I guess I'll just try and re-encode one of the movies on my XP desktop.

I'm assuming the digital copy issue won't be a problem, since when I wanted to move those 20 or so files from the Vista laptop to my external HDD (to save precious space on the laptop's HDD), it didn't give me any problems. When I tried moving said files from the external HDD to my XP desktop, it asked that I enter my iTunes password (probably similar to or equivalent to authorizing the computer).

...it's just a matter of getting those files into iTunes.

Thanks again. I'll write back later when I get back from work.

D

dvdcatalyst

Makes sense about Quicktime. If it's not playable, I guess I'll just try and re-encode one of the movies on my XP desktop.

I'm assuming the digital copy issue won't be a problem, since when I wanted to move those 20 or so files from the Vista laptop to my external HDD (to save precious space on the laptop's HDD), it didn't give me any problems. When I tried moving said files from the external HDD to my XP desktop, it asked that I enter my iTunes password (probably similar to or equivalent to authorizing the computer).

...it's just a matter of getting those files into iTunes.

Thanks again. I'll write back later when I get back from work.

The password part is the authorization part. your computer needs to be authorized and tied to the iTunes account you used to activate those files. The DRM in them prevents them from being used on an unauthorized computer (or iPad) or one that is tied to a different account.

If the files are unplayable, it could be a driver/connection issue between your drive and XP. If you are using a USB drive, try a different USB port (I have major issues with the USB3 port on my own system when it comes to file-transfer).

If you do have access to a different computer, maybe try connecting your drive to that before you resort to re-encoding.
Unless the HDD decided to crap out when you moved it from one computer to another, it is unlikely that the files themselves became corrupted.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so the MP4s are playable in Quicktime. I'm "manually" managing all the videos and music for the iPhone and iPad. I also reset all warning dialogues. I tried dragging the MP4 into the iTunes library. Didn't work. I tried dragging it into the movies section under the iPad drop down, but it's not allowed. I tried dragging the file into the same section but under the iPhone. It's allowed -- but I get the message "...was not copied because it cannot be played on this iPhone."

So I don't know. It plays in Quicktime. It was ​playable/addable in iTunes on my Vista. I have the ability to drag and drap files onto the iPhone (not that it worked), but I can't for the iPad.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have any other ideas or possible solutions? I have another digital copy, brand new, that won't drag/drop/import/show in iTunes.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my digital copies are m4vs -- definitely not wmv. My desktop computer is definitely authorized to play these videos, so I'll give this program a try. Thanks!

ronniew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the same problem with my ipad and I tried all the tricks but nothing happened. Any suggestions?

D

dvdcatalyst

This is the support info for Fox Digital Copy videos:

Fox Home Entertainment - Blueray
Existing iTunes Users

Go to “Help” in the top toolbar, and then click on “Check for Updates.” If you have not yet upgraded to the latest version of iTunes, you will be prompted to do so. Click “Download iTunes” in the pop-up window. Accept the license agreement, and your download should begin. You will need to restart your computer for updates to take effect.

New iTunes Users

Upgrade to the latest version here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
If you have upgraded to the latest version of iTunes and restarted your computer, and you are still experiencing difficulties transferring via iTunes, please contact customer support at[email protected] or dial (866) 520-6606.

[h=3]Q. I’m having trouble transferring my Digital Copy in iTunes, what should I do?[/h]A. Users should upgrade to the latest version of iTunes (7.6 or higher as required by iTunes) to transfer their Digital Copy using the iTunes format.
[h=3]Q. I transferred the file to iTunes, but it only shows a grey screen when I try to play the file and it won’t play on my iPod either.[/h]A. In the iTunes window, go to the “Store” menu at the top of the screen and click “Authorize Computer.” Input your iTunes Store account information and click “Authorize.” A message should appear saying the computer is already authorized. Click “OK” in that window and the file should play correctly. At that point, you will only need to re-sync your iPod to your iTunes library. If you continue having difficulty, please contact iTunes directly.
[h=3]Q. After updating iTunes, I still receive a prompt to update iTunes when redeeming a Digital Copy. What should I do?[/h]A. If you receive a message similar to the ones below please follow these steps:
  • Eject the Digital Copy disc
  • Restart iTunes
  • Insert the Digital Copy disc
  • Type in your unique activation code
For further Apple Support, please visit: [url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307266[/URL]

which might help.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Digital copies in .m4v should be compatible with iTunes. If your digital copy is .wmv file, it will only play in Windows Media Player. And you need DRM removal tool to crack and convert the movie to fair use MP4 video. Pavtube ChewTune is a DRM converter tool. But keep in mind that it only converts the videos that you can play (authorized media/your own purchases).

Thanks for the suggestion, but every time I ran the program, it quit unexpectedly.

D

dvdcatalyst

Sadly, I think I'm all out of options and the only thing left for me to do is call these Apple. Thanks for your efforts.

Either Apple or the company of your Digital Copy.

The stuff I posted earlier from Fox is pretty obvious, but I figured I'd add it for completion.

But, the ones you are experiencing complications with, are they all from the same company?

If you can name a few of the ones (maybe in a PM if you like to keep it private) I might have some here and can see if I have similar issues.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holy crap! After getting a new code for a movie I already had, it worked! It was in there in iTunes. So, naturally, I said, let's see if I can dump all my mp4 and m4vs in there. Sure enough, they all imported successfully! I have no idea what magical properties one of those codes had, but now all my iTunes compatible movies have imported.

Thanks a million! I can finally watch some movies again (wasn't too big a fan of pwntunes).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts