What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving apps to new ipad?

Langtang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am investing in an iPad 2 and giving my wife my old iPad. I wanted to know how I go about getting all the apps on my current iPad transferred onto the new one. Do I need to download (and pay) again or can I do something to just pull 'em across.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Langtang said:
I am investing in an iPad 2 and giving my wife my old iPad. I wanted to know how I go about getting all the apps on my current iPad transferred onto the new one. Do I need to download (and pay) again or can I do something to just pull 'em across.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave.

No, once you purchase they are yours to use on any applicable device within your iTunes account.

Sync your old iPad with iTunes,
Once you have your iPad2 activated/registered, click on your new device (on the left) within iTunes then in the upper center select "Apps". All of your apps will be listed. Place a check mark in those that you want and hit apply and or sync in the lower right and give her a minute or two.

You'll be good to go.

Reaction score
Here is a fail-prove way to get all your apps&settings of your current iPad onto the new one:
-connect iPad 1 to your PC
-start iTunes
-right click on your iPad and select Backup
-connect your new iPad 2 to the PC
-iTunes will ask, whether you want to create a new one, or restore. Select restore and chose the newest backup, in case there are multiple ones.

Of course can you continue using the iPad 1, including all it's apps.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Of course can you continue using the iPad 1, including all it's apps.

That was one of the key questions in my mind as well when we started purchasing apps for our first iPad etc.

But for those that may stumble onto this thread once you purchase an app there is no limit on the number of devices you load and use it on as long as each device is registered to the one iTunes account etc.

Our family shares apps between three iPads, three iTouch's, and iPhones. Swap them off and on each as much as you like.

Too bad AT&T couldn't be as decent with the 3G plans. If I was king you could purchase "bandwidth/GB's" and share those GB's between devices of your choosing etc. But then again, if I was king I could see huge profits and be greedy as well. :).

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
L

Langtang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice - all I have to do now is try to buy a bloody iPad 2!!! Apple store is always sold out. Anyone any inside info on how to get one any other way in the UK?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where in the Frozen North are you? The Apple Store in Aberdeen, Union Square had some in the week and they say they are receiving regular deliveries. However, they won't reserve them.

Tim

OP
L

Langtang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Aberdeen. Been into the store and keep looking online every night to see which models they have for next day, but to no avail so far. Roll on 9pm. Thanks for the info.

Most reactions