Movies on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Nan, Dec 7, 2010.

1. delrahim69

delrahim69
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use CineXPLAYER, just download movies to computer like normal and the load onto ipad. App has how-to on how to load them. Just sync ipad with computer, click on apps scroll down select CineXPLAYER then click add and locate movies to add. This app plays almost every format. I had VLC player which i have on my netbook but its restricted on what formats it will play. Pay the couple bucks for CineXPLAYER, well worth it.

2. daltonbaker

daltonbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    you just need to get a ipad transfer help you transfer movies, music, TV shows, audiobooks, and photos between iPod/iPhone 4/iPad and iTunes/computer

3. philman

philman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    OK, still a little confused. can I convert a DVD movie, bought from a store, so it can be played on the ipad? I know I can do video files, but not sure I understand the possibility of DVD's.

Second, what format is best for converting to, size and quality?

4. Stelph

Stelph
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can, just remember that there are two steps for converting a DVD to a file for your iPad.

DISCLAIMER - I am giving this advice assuming that you own the DVD's that you are looking to take movies from, legitimate backups from DVD's that you own is one thing, ripping copies from DVD's that you dont (i.e rental copies) is another and I personally do not condone that!.

Note that there are also several ways of doing this but this is my preferred way (and its also free)

First is you have to remove or bypass the Digital Rights Management (DRM) that is on the disk that stops you from ripping a copy, there are several programs you can buy to do this like Slysoft AnyDVD, however my favourite is the free program DVD43

http://www.dvd43.com/

Its free, and it automatically runs in the background when you put a disk in so you just need to install and forget! However note that it only works on 32bit windows so you will have to check if you have this on your PC

Second, you have to rip and convert the DVD into an iPad friendly file, for this I use Handbrake

http://handbrake.fr/

Again, free and it also has several pre-sets for files so you dont have to understand what you are doing, just select the pre-set and away you go! My faourite is "universal" because although it produces a larger file, it works with the iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV ect...

Once you do this once you'll see how easy it is, however note that it does take some time to convert depending on the power of your PC! Once handbrake is done then just go find it in the output folder and drag and drop into iTunes and iTunes will do the rest
    Hope this helps!

5. addiosamigo

addiosamigo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    what I've started doing is buying "triple play" blu rays. (or double play DVD's) this gives you a free digital copy with the blu-ray/DVD which you download from itunes, pretty cool!

and they only cost a fraction more than just a single blu-ray/DVD

6. robertlc

robertlc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I use Daniusoft conversion software for "store-bought" movies/DVDs and Format Factory for other video files.

Both work great.

7. slothead

slothead
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The OP may have heard the answer he was looking for but I did not. I searched hoping to find an alternative to iTunes because for some reason iTunes doesn't have the movie that I want. They have the soundtrack for sale, but no mention of the movie (The Tourist - Johnny Depp/Angelina Jolie). Anyone know where I can download it from? (P.S. it was released Dec 10)

8. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Netflix says they have "The Tourist"

Netflix

(But it is not out on DVD yet)

9. slothead

slothead
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but you can only watch it "live" (streaming). You can't download it and watch it on the plane.

10. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    You can if you fly on Delta. They offer WiFi on board and it is FREE during the holidays! How cool is that?