What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military iPad Users

Pcolageorge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
US Navy contractor, road-testing the iPad for use in language and culture training. Using video, PDF's (via iBook) and the music player for audio. Apps like Transparent Languages free Haitian Creole and Urdu flashcard program (BYKI) and their government-only CL-150 matrix Rapid Rote program, which is also a flashcard program. I'm converting the Navy's culture training audio powerpoints into m4v format... this obviously can take a while since the briefs run 45-60 minutes.

bookoffers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really interesting topic.
I always have same problem of you though I'm not a military but that was always my problem when I'm rush I accidentally dropped my belonging especially gadgets. And I hate to see a a little damage on it. I'm tired of repairing I want something that make my gadgets in safe mode when i accidentally dropped it again.

Warhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for a great thread. I don't have any practical experience as I just got the iPad, but will be monitoring closely as I'll be wheels up for the next all expenses paid vacation to the " beach with no water" in the next 18 months.

Hlguth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CAC card enabled IPad

Has anyone heard of this being accomplished?

Have checked the DISA website but found nothing on it.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At a minimum the iPad would have to be jailbroken and someone would have to write an app to interface a USB CAC reader with the iPad.

I'd say it's very unlikely that you'll actually see that happen.

Chakatajaca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At a minimum the iPad would have to be jailbroken and someone would have to write an app to interface a USB CAC reader with the iPad.

The Army is actually looking to go to smart phones and probably tablets in the future so I can see a cac reader being created for an iPad in the future.

Wired magazine did an article about creating apps for the military to use.
I tried to post a link but since this is my first post I can't post the link haha.

I am an Army recruiter and actually use my iPad as a recruiting tool. It is perfect to load videos about basic training or all of the different careers along with presentations on the benefits we have.

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
US Army 14 years, too any trips to count.

Detachment SGT at NATO HQ in Brussels, so I am pretty safe for the moment...lol

My iPad should be here this week, cant wait

Tim

Penny_elle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
British Army (AGC SPS) for 17 years. Done the odd tour here and there... Just got my 32G wi-fi iPad for Christmas and I am just exploring it's uses.

azstinger11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USAF and currently deployed. Besides the multitude of games I really like the app ForeFlight HD. The app is free but the yearly service runs about $80 USD. It allows me to help double check and quickly reference all of my charts. Its not a legal alternative and I still have to verify via authorized sources but its handy in a pinch. Multiplayer games can help the flights go by quickly. Being jailbroken I have an app which lets you view iPhone on the iPad without the normal nasty double pixel effect (sorry name escapes me right now), so I use the TomTom app for driving directions the few times I am outside the wire. I also use it all the time to make google voice calls back home, while I like skype being able to call cell # for free rocks my world. Just a few of my usages for the iPad. Its funny back in the US, I don't use 3G but out here I live and die by it haha. Best of luck to everyone and stay safe!

grungeintx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, 21 years here....Anyone figure out how to pull AKO mail yet? There are some instructions for the iPhone on the AKO website, but doesnt seem to work on the iPad.

Thanks for all you do!!!!

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, 21 years here....Anyone figure out how to pull AKO mail yet? There are some instructions for the iPhone on the AKO website, but doesnt seem to work on the iPad.

Thanks for all you do!!!!

Can you do it from a browser?
I know it would nbe nice to have it set up like yahoo or gmail. Sure it is not far off with talk of the Army going smartphone.

Tim

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
keep your head down and be safe and come back to your family and friends there my fellow brothers in arms ..

OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not a legal alternative and I still have to verify via authorized sources but its handy in a pinch

We constantly get "reminded" that electronic flight bags aren't a legal alternative.. Blah blah blah.. Lol! Although the stories you hear about people using commercial satnavs for cockpit flight navigation are pretty scary!

One app I use loads for work is AeroWeather. It's the best source for TAFS and METARs I've found. It also decodes them for normal people but I find they don't make any sense to me now unless I look at them in the original format!

azstinger11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not a legal alternative and I still have to verify via authorized sources but its handy in a pinch

We constantly get "reminded" that electronic flight bags aren't a legal alternative.. Blah blah blah.. Lol! Although the stories you hear about people using commercial satnavs for cockpit flight navigation are pretty scary!

One app I use loads for work is AeroWeather. It's the best source for TAFS and METARs I've found. It also decodes them for normal people but I find they don't make any sense to me now unless I look at them in the original format!

I'll have to take a look at that thanks. One app i really love is RadarScope. I really like being able to see weather as it moves in. And if one was to perhaps fly low enough as to receive 3g signal you can use it in flight to get another perspective on your destination, or of course on take off. I would love to know if there is an international version since this app relies upon NEXRAD doppler which i think is US only.

Hlguth

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It looks like DISA might be working on it as a Security Technical Implementation Guide is being considered.

Along these same lines, has anyone come across the means to encrypt the IPad's hard drive in order to be compliant with Personal Identifying Information (PII) ?

Break

I use IAnotate for my marking up/commenting on .pdf files. It's well worth the $10 in my opinion. Am also having grat success with PrintCentral (I dont have an ePrinter) and SkyFire to overcome most needs for viewing Flash websites. You can watch Military.com videos with it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts