What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maximum recepient in sending mail?

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know the maximum number of recepient when sending a mail. I was sending a mail to a 180+ people and it just wouldnt send.

Anyone know something about this? Or is there an app which could send to many recepients?

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought it was ten. I know that is a small number but on the 11th on my phone, it wouldn't even add anymore. I'm sure there are mail managers in the app store for a small cost that would help your venture.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know the maximum number of recepient when sending a mail. I was sending a mail to a 180+ people and it just wouldnt send.

Anyone know something about this? Or is there an app which could send to many recepients?

MailShot is the app you need. It handles group mail and will let you send to groups of up to 50 at a time. It's a great app and much praised by Forum members. So you can organise all your contacts into Groups - a feature that should have been included in the original iPad's Mail app - it cleverly integrates them into a single contact, so you could have 3 groups of, say, 50 recipients each. Best of all, it's fully integrated with the iPad's native Contacts and Mail apps.

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
MailShot is the app you need. It handles group mail and will let you send to groups of up to 50 at a time. It's a great app and much praised by Forum members. So you can organise all your contacts into Groups - a feature that should have been included in the original iPad's Mail app - it cleverly integrates them into a single contact, so you could have 3 groups of, say, 50 recipients each. Best of all, it's fully integrated with the iPad's native Contacts and Mail apps.

Tim
Scotland

Thanks for that, but whats maximum recepient on the defult mail on ipad?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This could be an email service provider issue. Hotmail limit the maximum number to 100 to prevent spamming. If you want to send more for a legitimate reason you have to contact them. Does your service provider have a similar limit, do you know?

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
This could be an email service provider issue. Hotmail limit the maximum number to 100 to prevent spamming. If you want to send more for a legitimate reason you have to contact them. Does your service provider have a similar limit, do you know?

Tim
Scotland

Actually i dont have any idea, hehe. Cause it's the first time i tried sending a mail to all of my contacts and it just wouldnt send.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll find some of these mails will get bounced back to you as undeliverable, where users have enabled a setting that rejects mail as spam if it has a large number of recipients. There will be other cases where it just gets rejected as spam anyway and you never know about it.

By the time you've finished sorting all this out and resending the mail to those who initially rejected it, you may find it would have been less time-consuming to send it to just a few of them at a time. With 180 recipients that would not take too long using copy/paste. It rather depends how important you consider your mailshot to be.

If you decide you can live with a reasonable proportion of cases where it is rejected, you could use one of the apps mentioned but I would suggest you send it to all recipients as "Bcc" rather than "To". This should help avert some of it being marked as spam, and it will prevent the more annoying of your contacts from hijacking your address list and using it for their own purposes.

SolublePeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.solubleapps.com
Unless they all know each other in a group, you should always use Bcc as standard practice, as its only polite to protect people's email addresses.

Good point about some of that other server behavior though, and that it doesn't just depend on your own ISP/mail provider.

Peter

Most reactions

Latest posts