Max of three iCloud accounts created on one IOS device

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by intro2ipad, Mar 18, 2012.

1. JenH54321

JenH54321
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I tried today to set up an iPhone and it comes up with this error. So basically can you not sell on a phone anymore second hand because of this reason? Very frustrating!

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    This thread is two years old, so I don't know if the initial issue even exists anymore.

When you want to sell an iOS device, you need to turn off Find My iPhone/iPad in the iCloud settings, then use the Erase All Content and settings option in Settings > General > Reset. It will ask you for you iCloud and/or Apple ID, then restore the iOS device to factory conditions. When it is done, you will be at the "Hello" screen that you first see on a new iPad (or after a major update).

This is also the condition you need to buy a used iPhone in. Always make sure any second hand iOS device you buy has been cleared this way.

The feature that prevents you from selling someone else your iOS device with your iCloud account still associated with it is called Activation Lock. It's meant to prevent thefts, by making them unprofitable. However, you do have a way around it, as I just described. Apple is not trying to keep you from selling your iOS device, or buying a used one.

Inconvenient as it may seem, Apple was under a lot of pressure to create a feature like this. The theft of iPhones was ridiculous. Also, most other smart phone manufacturers (including Google's Android) now have similar features that make stealing mobile devices less attractive. And if you forget to clear the phone, or make sure the phone you bought was cleared, they have exactly the same issues. You can't use the phone as your own.

As for not being able to have more than three iCloud accounts on a single device, that's the first I've heard of the issue. I must have missed this thread the first time around (it's almost three years old). Other than the selling/buying issue you've mentioned, I see no reason why you'd want more than one, or two at most, iCloud accounts set up on a device.

And you should never have two iCloud accounts on one device just so you can buy/sell it. That is ridiculous, and against Apple's user agreement to boot. You're iCloud account(s) is yours. Giving or selling your user ID and password to someone else is against the user agreement of just about every online account/service in existence.

3. JenH54321

JenH54321
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi thAnkyou for your reply. It was my dads phone and he bought it second hand. So I'm thinking it's never been cleared the way you say it should have. I'm trying to set the phone up for my grandad now but got stopped at the last part when it can up this message. I might try loading my dads info back on and deleting things you suggested before restoring the phone again.

So I don't want more than one iCloud account set up (just a new one for my grandad) but guess the old ones it has had on there need removing properly as restoring the phone doesn't do this. It's very confusing but I shall try again in the morning.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my message

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
  5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If three iCloud accounts were created and activated on an iDevice (iPad, iPhone), it's not possible to create and activate another one. That's not the same as iCloud's activation lock. Apple just wanted to prevent people from using loads of free iCloud storage space by creating many accounts. The original issue still exists.

If this message appears on the iPad or iPhone, this simply means that the new owner has to activate the new iCloud account on a different Apple device he owns, and then sets up the account/ID on the device which can't create and activate an account any more.

#15 J. A., Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. And this affects even phones that have been erased? No idea how I missed learning that.

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It also affects iPhones which have been erased. It's a rare problem, though.