What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Main Connector

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I found that the iPad main connector (cable) is not quite exactly like the connector that came with my iPad 2. Does anyone know that you are not supposed to be interchanged? (A few minutes ago I tried to charge my "2" with a cable that came with my original and it would recognize the connection.)

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use cables advertised as for iPOD. They appear to work just fine. I assume the same can be said for iPAD I and II.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
All the cables are the same, maybe slight differences in construction, but they all fit the same connector, I've used cable from my first iPod in 2003 with the iPad no problem. The chargers are a different matter, iPad chargers are 10w compared to the normal 5w for iPod/iPhone.

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
For the most part I agree with you (I did some more testing after the initial post), but there is still one of my [many] cables that doesn't make full contact with the iPad contacts. I think I will retire it.

Personally I don't like how thin the iPad 2 is. Everything else about it is great (although I have found some bugs that I assume will get fixed in the next OS upgrade), but I am constantly afraid I am going to drop it or bend/break it. The thinness also has an impact on how that main connector gets inserted and its contact integrity once seated.

All the cables are the same, maybe slight differences in construction, but they all fit the same connector, I've used cable from my first iPod in 2003 with the iPad no problem. The chargers are a different matter, iPad chargers are 10w compared to the normal 5w for iPod/iPhone.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm no expert on Apple's various versions of their connectors but I did discover a significant difference between a cable for my iPod and the one that came with my iPad.

The iPod connector has buttons on each side that must be depressed to remove from the device. The iPad connector is slightly "shorter" and lacks those buttons.

Each connector works fine with my iPad but I discovered the difference between the two when I was unable to remove the iPod connector from the iPad without depressing the buttons. That was after trying to remove it with pliers. Fortunately, I didn't damage either the iPad or the connector in that futile effort. (Though it did result in much blue language and frustration before I discovered the difference between the connectors.)

m3fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
I'm no expert on Apple's various versions of their connectors but I did discover a significant difference between a cable for my iPod and the one that came with my iPad.

The iPod connector has buttons on each side that must be depressed to remove from the device. The iPad connector is slightly "shorter" and lacks those buttons.

Each connector works fine with my iPad but I discovered the difference between the two when I was unable to remove the iPod connector from the iPad without depressing the buttons. That was after trying to remove it with pliers. Fortunately, I didn't damage either the iPad or the connector in that futile effort. (Though it did result in much blue language and frustration before I discovered the difference between the connectors.)

Apple has been kind enough to leave all the connections the same for as long as I can remember! The real difference is really the buttons on the side. There's really no difference in terms of the plugging in module. Just like how some aftermarket cables you purchase online may have fancy buttons, or no buttons that is to attract different user's tastes!

Cheers!

Most reactions