What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail Sync

TJMay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted this in the wrong section so in the hope of receiving more replies, I'm reposting here.

I have both an iPhone and an iPad. I somehow was successful getting my gmail account to sync with both of these and my desktop but my main email account will not. It is very annoying to have to mark each email read in two of the three devices after reading on the one.

I won't even pretend to understand what POP, IMAP etc are or why one over the other but I would really like to get my main email account to sync like the gmail does.

What information would any of you need about my email server in order to help me get this working?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

TJ

Tommy

Tommy

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So is your main email account POP or IMAP?

If your main email account is POP then switch to IMAP. That gives your iPad a virtual window into your mail server and it will see whatever is there. If it's been read then the iPad will see that too using IMAP.

Tim

OP
T

TJMay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
So is your main email account POP or IMAP?

If your main email account is POP then switch to IMAP. That gives your iPad a virtual window into your mail server and it will see whatever is there. If it's been read then the iPad will see that too using IMAP.

Tim[/QUOT

It can't be that easy!

If my ipad and iphone are now configured as POP, can I simply change it to IMAP and work with my mail server? Any mail server?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well - changing from POP to IMAP is not *quite* so simple...

It's better to set up a 'duplicate' account on the iPad first of all. Use IMAP instead of POP - but everything else - i.e. the send protocol - should be the same. That way, if it all falls apart, you've still got the 'old' settings.

Some service providers still don't support IMAP, but most do. Give it a try...'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'New Account' and enter the same settings for SMTP but choose IMAP instead of POP. The other things you're asked for should be self-explanatory but, if they're not, just come back - that's what we're here for....

If you set up a 'duplicate' IMAP account, as discussed above, then you should be able to compare the difference between what you see in IMAP and POP. If you're satisfied that IMAP is for you, then you can delete the POP account. If it doesn't work, then you've still got the existing POP account while we sort out the problems...

Good Luck and - get back to us if there are any problems at all.

Tim

OP
T

TJMay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

You are a wealth of knowledge and willing to share that with others. For that, thank you.

I checked with my Internet service provider who is also my email provider. They lease their email server system from a third party and it does not support IMAP, according to the voice on the other end of the line. I should be able to rely on the accuracy of this information, but, well, you know.

Should I try it anyway? Can trying it do any harm or will it just not work?

If their email server does not support IMAP, is there another way?

Thanks again-

Tommy

Most reactions

Latest posts