What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MacBook user switching to iPad

PADPARANOID

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am Amanda from Sweden. I have been using MacBook for seven years, now I have to use iPad for my job, I am a retailer and that is requested by my wholesaler. I would very appreciate any experiences shared in business use of iPad, like any software for maintaining databases of clients, payment processing etc.

OP
PADPARANOID

PADPARANOID

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also done a bit of (very straight) research as regards Windows and Macs compatibility, for neither ipadOS nor macOS supports certain Windows apps which are critical for me. The most amazing thing I have found is this crossover app CrossOver runs the Windows software you need on Mac, Linux and Chrome OS.. Its developers say the app 'runs your windows app on macOS...". I am very interested in giving it a try, any experiences, pros, cons and pitfalls?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
CrossOver does not work on the Big Sur, yet. The developer has tested it successfully on several apps using the Big Sur 11.1 beta, so it should be viable soon. I've been keeping an eye on it since I just bought one of the new M1 MacBook Airs, and have a few Windows programs I want to run.

None of this should be considered as hopeful for the iPad. Emulators like CrossOver are mostly prohibited by Apple, and when they are approved they have strong restrictions on how you can load and run apps. Emulators are by their nature are major security concerns on a platform, and Apple is very protective of iOS's security. Yes, this makes some people unhappy. And yes, it makes some people more confident in the security of their iPads. I'm both. Which is why I've gone back to having both a Mac and iPad.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
CrossOver does not work on the Big Sur, yet. The developer has tested it successfully on several apps using the Big Sur 11.1 beta, so it should be viable soon. I've been keeping an eye on it since I just bought one of the new M1 MacBook Airs, and have a few Windows programs I want to run.

None of this should be considered as hopeful for the iPad. Emulators like CrossOver are mostly prohibited by Apple, and when they are approved they have strong restrictions on how you can load and run apps. Emulators are by their nature are major security concerns on a platform, and Apple is very projective of iOS's security. Yes, this makes some people unhappy. And yes, it makes some people more confident in the security of their iPads. I'm both. Which is why I've gone back to having both a Mac and iPad.

Hi TP - nice summary of some of the upcoming issues w/ Big Sur, Apple silicon, and future integration (or not) of mac OS and iPadOS - thanks. Dave :)

ADDENDUM: @PADPARANOID - welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try running Windows in a virtual machine on a Mac. There’s a Mac app called Parallels for that purpose.

@ Padparanoid - as suggested above, if you indeed need to run Windows programs on an Apple platform (and if not already done), I would suggest visiting (and joining, if desired) the Mac-Forums (all Apple devices are discussed w/ an emphasis on macOS) - there are plenty of knowledgable members who need to 'mix' PC & Apple technologies and run Windows and its software on Apple machines - hope to see you there (I visit daily). Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts