What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low on space

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi my my iPad Air 2 is getting very low on space it only had 16GB to start with. By deleting and reinstalling just 3 apps so far l have it back to over 2.3 GB.
My question to you clever people is regarding google photos.
The App uses 93 MBs but almost 400MBs docs & data is there any way to get that back?
Here are some screenshots of my settings, to help.
Thanks In Advance
0c65a03e436efbf2c0d627988b590763.jpg

12debf81ddc875ed3388754936e1aba1.jpg

b08a73caf8bbba5f4d64bd279dddaf4e.jpg

Hope they help

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi my my iPad Air 2 is getting very low on space it only had 16GB to start with. By deleting and reinstalling just 3 apps so far l have it back to over 2.3 GB.
My question to you clever people is regarding google photos.
The App uses 93 MBs but almost 400MBs docs & data is there any way to get that back?
Here are some screenshots of my settings, to help.

Hi Brixtonboy - I have an Air 2 but bought w/ 64 GB, so your first mistake was getting a fairly recent model w/ the minimum amount of storage, but I'm sure that you are already regretting that decision - correct?

Now w/ the iOS installed you likely have only 12+ GB of total storage, and are now down to 2+ GB left - manipulating one app will likely not be of much help depending on what you want to keep on that device (e.g. photos, music, etc.) - there are now off-device storage options, both wireless and those attached to the lightning adapter that might help you w/ this 'anemic' iPad - let us know your needs and other suggestions might be offered. Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you try deleting the app, and then reinstalling it?

That is what l wish to do but l don't want to take the chance of losing my photos.
They should all be stored in google photos correct??

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Brixtonboy - I have an Air 2 but bought w/ 64 GB, so your first mistake was getting a fairly recent model w/ the minimum amount of storage, but I'm sure that you are already regretting that decision - correct?

Now w/ the iOS installed you likely have only 12+ GB of total storage, and are now down to 2+ GB left - manipulating one app will likely not be of much help depending on what you want to keep on that device (e.g. photos, music, etc.) - there are now off-device storage options, both wireless and those attached to the lightning adapter that might help you w/ this 'anemic' iPad - let us know your needs and other suggestions might be offered. Dave :)

I was down to .6gb but by deleting and reinstalling just 4 Apps l am back up to over 2 GB. I have more to do in that area.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is what l wish to do but l don't want to take the chance of losing my photos.
They should all be stored in google photos correct??
Correct. They are stored online. Deleting the app won't remove your images from the cloud. They'll be there again when you sign in.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all, getting there slowly back up to over 3 GB just by deleting and reinstalling Apps. There follows another screenshot regarding camera and photos can't seem to get at them.
But they are not in my iCloud or are THEY??
2c421b43092ff6c15436351537c99c87.jpg

Think that's the correct one, any help with it

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you intend to remove them from the Photos app, open the app and delete them. Also remove them from the Recently Deleted folder, to free up storage space.

The images are on your iPad, using storage space, and they might also be in iCloud, using iCloud storage space. That depends on your settings.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for help. I have moved the photos to Google drive.
My photo app has only 1 photo. I am guessing but it seems that l must open iCloud somehow on my PC.
Here is a breakdown of my iCloud usage.
e30d0cfdeeb8a6ad7fd97952f12e10c6.jpg

I hope

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't want to sync your images via iCloud, go to Settings - iCloud - Photos, and disable iCloud Photo Library. Do you intend to backup one image? If not, disable "Photo Library" on the setting your screenshot shows.

That's iCloud storage we're talking about now, btw, not the storage space on your iPad. Backups don't use storage space on an iDevice.

To get more storage space on your iPad, remove your email accounts and set them up again. This will help getting rid of attachments you've opened before, which still use some of your device's storage.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok many thanks l think l'm on my way. To a faster cleaner system. Funny someone mentioned about buying about buying a 16GB iPad. My iPhone is 128GB l still have 115 free and it's full of music and Apps the only problem is the battery life is weak. However the battery on iPad is fantastic, strange.

Most reactions

Latest posts