What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd behavior when low on storage space

Wynamd32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone explain what iOS does when you get (relatively) low on storage space? I've hit about 2GB remaining on my 16GB unit, and it seems iOS decides at that point to start deleting things. In particular, it deletes my offline Evernote notes and my ebooks in apps like B&N Nook.

Seems odd that it would do so with a full 2GB left, and so seemingly randomly. Oh, and without any warning... Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My thoughts are that either there is a malfunction of some sort or something other than what you think is occuring. What, I don't know.

louwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64Gb so don't have your problem but did notice a curious symptom with the camera App.

If I have a few Apps running in background and I start the camera, if I change from still to movie, the shutter stays closed. Or if there is limited memory (program?) the movie leaves black bars on both sides.

This is my conclusion, please feel free to correct me if there is another reason for my symptoms :)

Sent from my Laptop :D

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does that too. I got below 1GB once and it deleted my Mac Life magazine library. Seemed random. And also without any previous notice.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Little One said:
Mine does that too. I got below 1GB once and it deleted my Mac Life magazine library. Seemed random. And also without any previous notice.

I have seen the newsstand app delete old issues of my mags when it encountered what it considered a low memory condition. The thing is, I didn't have low memory, at least not storage memory. It could mean RAM memory rather than SSD memory.

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I have seen the newsstand app delete old issues of my mags when it encountered what it considered a low memory condition. The thing is, I didn't have low memory, at least not storage memory. It could mean RAM memory rather than SSD memory.

Could this be turned off?

OP
W

Wynamd32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To add some additional info, one of the things it did was dump my Evernote offline files (which I mentioned). Ultimately, I was forced to remove Evernote, reinstall it, and setup offline files again to get Evernote to sync them again. This happened once before, I think, when I ran low on space, but at the time I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions