What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost password

koolking1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to help a friend get back into his Ipad. He is not very computer literate so I won't be able to give much info. Basically, he forgot what his password was to log on to the computer and he didn't write it down (I always do and advised him to do the same).

Is there a way to by-pass the log in to get back into the Ipad--at least without reformatting the HD? The problem here (besides the password) is that I am a PC person and know very little about Apple computers so I'll need to be taken by the hand, if possible, and led step by step through whatever I may need to do.

I don't know which OS he has or which Ipad version, either. He said he can't find the paper work and isn't sure he knows where the install disks are.

Big problem isn't it? But I need help so I can help him.

TIA, kk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What exactly does he need to enter? If it's the passcode, used for unlocking the iPad, there are three different ways to remove the passcode. You can use iCloud, iTunes or recovery mode to erase it. You find all three methods on this site:
If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

If he doesn't remember the password of his Apple ID, it can be reset here:
https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin
You'll have to access this site on a computer.
You'll find "Forgot Apple ID or password" below the part where you can sign in. Select it, decide whether to answer the security questions, or receive an email.
It's more complicated, if he uses two-step verification (recovery key is needed, as well as a trusted device), or two factor authentication.

That done, he can try signing in again on his iPad.

It's also possible that his iPad is locked by iCloud. If it's not possible to reset the password, he won't be able to use it. There's no way around iCloud Activation Lock.
In that case, he should contact Apple, or take the iPad to the next Apple Retail Store, with proof that it belongs to him (billing). They might be able to help with his problem.

Last edited:
OP
K

koolking1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big Thank You.

He needs to enter his password to log on to the computer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
He needs to enter his password to log on to the computer.

Just for clarification, the terms 'password' and 'computer' are too vague - I'm assuming that you mean your friend is trying to log into his iPad w/ a 'passcode', which is a 4 or 6-digit number, like '1234' - if that is the one needed, then you need to look at Johanna's first link. Dave :)

OP
K

koolking1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks again for your help and time.

I don't mean a passcode. I actually do mean a password. He and his wife set it up but didn't write it down and now neither can remember what it is.

TIA,
kk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've also given you instructions what to do if he doesn't know the password. The first few lines of my post discuss the passcode. Most of my post gives advice what to do, if the password is unknown. To show where it starts, I've coloured the word "password" above.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello,

I don't mean a passcode. I actually do mean a password. He and his wife set it up but didn't write it down and now neither can remember what it is.

OK - thanks! :) Johanna has already given you instructions - below are 3 screen captures that show the steps using the Apple userid link - as already stated, a computer is needed along w/ the email address they choose to sign-up w/ Apple - let us know if this helps. Dave
AppleID_1.png
AppleID_2.png
AppleID_3.png

OP
K

koolking1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very good. Big Thank you for all your help.

kk

Most reactions

Latest posts