What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend ipad version & gig for 11yo son.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We would like to get our son an iPad for Christmas & want to start looking now. I know we want apple & I know we want an iPad, not laptop or touch.
I have a 2 64gig 3G, but I know he doesn't need anything this elaborate. Now I know someone will suggest giving him mine & me getting a 3 when they come out, but honestly unless I got the lowest end model, financially this isn't possible. I got mine to have for a while.
So....
Do I get him a used 1st gen low GB or a new/used 2nd gen low gb?
And cases....I need great cases! He isn't the most careful little guy, and he has a hand washing OCD(no really, DXd clinically) so his hands are literally always wet or in stages of drying or with hand lotion on in winter to help with cracking.

He's a special needs kiddo who has Autism, his therapists suggested an iPad or tablet to help with therapy & to do typed homework on. We were advised to get a wireless keyboard for that part though.
Thanks!

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you considered the 16 gb first gen model? They are very reasonable now. Best buy usually has them, as for a case, the otter box case is really strong, makes it a little heavy though.

Good luck.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No need to go down the used line, try the Apple online store and check out the refurb section for some bargains. You get full warranty and they come fully boxed which is nice for a present.

The Archangel

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts.

() A refurbished/used first gen iPad probably meets your needs, but if you can swing it financially, I'd recommend getting an iPad 2 based on the principle of purchasing either the latest generation of hardware or at worst one generation back. This is a sort of "future protection" that provides a better guarantee of good performance as new applications are introduced. (The iPad 2 has twice the memory of the iPad 1. And while that is not critical at this point, it may become more important as apps are introduced with the iPad 3.) In addition, you'll find many more cases now available for the iPad 2.

() As for cases, you might want want to consider one of the Drop Cases from Gumdrop. Autism, as you undoubtedly realize, is a very broad diagnosis with many individual symptoms so it may not be especially appropriate for your son, but on another thread a poster with an autistic son liked both the rugged features of the Gumdrop case and the easily removable/replaceable screen protector.

Drop Tech Series Apple iPad 2 Case | Apple iPad 2 Cases, Skins and Covers | Gumdrop Cases

Worth noting that this case is available from Costco in a bundle with a couple of screen protectors.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...t=gumdrop&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode matchallpartial

() As for a keyboard, I don't think you can do better than the Apple Wireless Keyboard ($69). Coupled with the Incase Origami Workstation ($30), the two make a very good, durable combination.

If you want to save some bucks on the keyboard, consider the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable Keyboard ($32) or the Bluetooth keyboard from Targus ($44). (Prices from Amazon.) Neither work with the Origami Workstation, but each is a good keyboard, rugged and well constructed. (I've used the Microsoft keyboard with my laptop and iPad for several years. It's a champ.)

Last edited:
OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the info. It seems as if used iPads aren't super cheaper than new(now that I've done some research price point wise). So probably a new refurb or flat out new is how we will go. I've never held a 1st gen in my hand or used one, but we sure like my 2, and like you all said, if you can get current gen for not much more, why not?
His autism isn't aggressive or violent or frustrating, so his issues aren't so much drop or get mad & throw it, vs just having wet hands & not always remembering to put it somewhere safe(like not on the floor or on a railing). We have rules about his DS only being used in certain areas of the home & it gets put back when he's finished at our "base charging station", so we'd probably do something similar to that with a pad.
I would install the iPhone find me app, because he sometimes looses things by his lack of focus. Would that work on a wifi only pad or will we need 3G for that to work.
I hadn't planned on it leaving the house much though, so it isn't like that app would help us find it in the house, would it? Like is it upstairs or downstairs type of thing. Can you install a "pager" tone on it that would sound I could activate from mine if he did misplace it at home?
Ooo, and that reminds me! FaceTime would be cool, so maybe a 2 really is where it's at after all.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out this episode of iPad Today with Sarah Lane and Leo LaPorte. It's about accessibility apps and mainly deals with kids with autism.

iPad Today 58 | TWiT.TV

You can also get the twit app on your iPad. I love these podcasts. Very informative.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
When buying mine I found good prices on laptopsdirect.com

At the time I was tempted by a
V1 iPad 64gb G3 @ £475.00

That's spec is way above what you need, but a place to start.

I'd think you might in fact be wiser fir your son ti have a V1, as I feel a bit more robust. they are heavier than the iPad2 so injury risk due to clumsey use is another factor.

My brother has the same compulsion about washing hands constantly, he will also take clean plates and cutlery from the dish washer and wash them again before using, he is 'normal' in all ither respects butthe basis in his case is irrational fear of germs, so I know something of dealing with this issue.

Moister is no friend to all things iPad and iPhone, so I wonder if using cling film would work, or at least reduce the risk, and he may well peel it off as he may also do with any case but worth a try.

What software is he likely to be using?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would install the iPhone find me app, because he sometimes looses things by his lack of focus. Would that work on a wifi only pad or will we need 3G for that to work.
I hadn't planned on it leaving the house much though, so it isn't like that app would help us find it in the house, would it? Like is it upstairs or downstairs type of thing. Can you install a "pager" tone on it that would sound I could activate from mine if he did misplace it at home?

Find My iPhone works with wi-fi or 3G, though 3G is supposed to be more accurate. You can send an audio tone and text with it, so you could hear it somewhere in the house. I've tried it with my 3G and wi-fi iDevices. Sounds like a sonar signal. I'm not sure whether it'd override if you had the sound turned off on your device, though.

OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, he isn't a "peeler" or a "picker", so he'd probably be fine with a film covering the screen.
The school has websites they use for exercises & games, along with a list of apps they recommend. So software isn't really an issue as long as he has net access & wifi & acess to an app store(but not mom's card info/password!)
Robustness. Hadn't thought of that but I saw a demo that the 2 is actually stronger than the 1 as far as like if he stepped on the pad while on the floor. That the screen is thinner but stronger? And we'd put a case on it too, I was looking at the Otterbox as it comes highly recommended, no matter what we got.
1 vs 2 is always food for thought!
Keep em coming! Info is always appreciated!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The glass on iPad 2 is supposed to be tougher, but stepping on a 2 probably wouldn't work any better than on a 1.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
Well, he isn't a "peeler" or a "picker", so he'd probably be fine with a film covering the screen.
The school has websites they use for exercises & games, along with a list of apps they recommend. So software isn't really an issue as long as he has net access & wifi & acess to an app store(but not mom's card info/password!)
Robustness. Hadn't thought of that but I saw a demo that the 2 is actually stronger than the 1 as far as like if he stepped on the pad while on the floor. That the screen is thinner but stronger? And we'd put a case on it too, I was looking at the Otterbox as it comes highly recommended, no matter what we got.
1 vs 2 is always food for thought!
Keep em coming! Info is always appreciated!

I'd research all these cases, otter box has many fans, never had hold of one to comment on, as I use griffin survivor for my iphone2 which can be bought for under £12 from Amazon.

Good as the griffin and otterbox are as a case, if it was hit on the glass front with a sharp object (chair/table leg) likely damage could still occur especially on the iPads larger display.

Possibly I'd go with cling film and a cheap bumper case, which aids grip and to help keep the cling film or perhaps a clear acetate / polycarb sheet steady.

An option with a bit if DIY would to be to mount it on a small LCD TV wall bracket, reducing the risk of it being dropped or spilled on, while remaining in view during his exercisses.

If I don't stop now this will become a book of ideas, as an engineer, father if 3 grown boys and a grandad to 5 beloved kids I just go into overdrive :)

Most reactions

Latest posts