What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost in space!

oldlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm a new owner. Already got main computer plus laptop but am completely bemused by Ipad1
Tried connecting to look at inbox and downloaded about 5000 messages ! Only wanted to see the new ones ...:confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm a new owner. Already got main computer plus laptop but am completely bemused by Ipad1
Tried connecting to look at inbox and downloaded about 5000 messages ! Only wanted to see the new ones ...:confused:

I'm slightly puzzled too because the iPad can only download/display at most 200 messages. Do you really mean you have 5000 messages in your iPad InBox?

Welcome to the Forum, by the way. We'll sort this problem...

Tim

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
oldlady said:

sounds like your using the imap protocol, which basically reads the emails off the server, so you can read the emails on numerous devices, and if you delete the email from one device it is gone and won't be viewable on any other devices

it will only do it once, so next time you connect, it will only download new messages since your last download

alternatively, you could use pop3, this will download the email to your device and delete it off the server, but the. it means that email can only be viewed on that one device

which server type you use depends on how many devices you use to read your emails, if just the one, pop3 will do you fine, if like me, laptops, iPads, iPhones, pcs, then imap is the way to go

Reaction score
oldlady said:

You can choose, how many recent emails the Mail app should display. To adjust the number, go to Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendar->Set Show (25/50/100, or 200) recent emails.

If you only want to see the newest emails, just set it to 25 recent messages, as you can always load more emails from within the emails app, in case not enough are shown.

And I have to agree with Tim, 5000 emails seems slightly exaggerated, as the Mail app does not display more then 200 mails per mail account, unless you manually instruct Mail to load more.

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to one OldLady from another old lady... hehehe!
Welcome to the forum and it looks like some folks are already trying to help you out. You certainly found the best place for help with your new iPad that once you get the bugs out I know you are going to love! Take care and have fun..

Chiky

OP
O

oldlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers everyone. Think that the large number was at the bottom but I know i was deleting back to 2010! Anyway imap sounds the way to go as I don't want to delete on other computers(OH will kill me ). Will look at setting which should need changing(when I find it) . Trying to print off some of the guide and the wireless printer is on strike!:confused:
Old lady

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers everyone. Think that the large number was at the bottom but I know i was deleting back to 2010! Anyway imap sounds the way to go as I don't want to delete on other computers(OH will kill me ). Will look at setting which should need changing(when I find it) . Trying to print off some of the guide and the wireless printer is on strike!:confused:
Old lady

OK - sounds as if you have IMAP already and the ones at the bottom are just those that are still on your email server. The iPad doesn't load them, but they're searchable, should you ever need to find something from the past.

OK - printer problem...have you printed from your iPad to this printer before? Is it a wireless printer (WiFi)? If you tell us the make and model we can tell you if it's supported by the iPad - only a limited number of printers are directly supported by the iPad but there are third party apps available for the others.

Tim

OP
O

oldlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi printer

It's a HP Photosmart C7280

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a HP Photosmart C7280

Thanks

If you have a look on Apple's website you'll see this printer is not supported by the iPad

Apple - iPad - Print right from your iPad with AirPrint.

This means you'll need to use a third-party app, such as PrintNShare, if you don't want to buy a new printer - which I'm assuming you don't! If you download PrintNShare this will enable you to print from your iPad, but it won't support in-app printing. In other words, if you're in an app and want to print you won't be able to use the Print menu in that app. You'll need to transfer the file to PrintNShare and then print it from within that app.

The advantage of having a compatible printer from the above list is that you'd be able to print directly from the app without needing to use PrintNShare. There are other similar third-party printing apps too, so other members might recommend their favourites - so I'd wait a while before downloading and paying for an app to help you print.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts