What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lopsided Tilt. Is this normal?

jjon99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, on my iPad2 IOS5, when in landscape orientation with the square button to the right, if I tilt away from me the screen swivels round when I get to about 10 degrees. But when I tilt back towards me I need to go to beyond 30 degrees before the screen reorientates. It seems variable - sometimes I seem to need to tilt to 45 degrees before the screen rotates back.

In the portrait orientation it needs about 30 degrees to swivel, whether I tilt one way or the other.

Is this how it's meant to be? That the landscape screen tilt works at different angles? Surely not. Why would it?

Does anyone else have this problem?

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad2 running iOS5 I can hold my screen flat (home button on right like yours) and then tilt the far side slightly toward the ground (about 10-15 degrees) and that is when the screen orientation switches 180 degrees. Same goes for portrait.
However, this does not sound like what happens to you. You may have an internal gyroscope issue. I would suggest calling apple support and/or taking it back to where you purchased it and discuss the issue there.

A temporary fix may be for you to go into Settings, then General and select Lock Rotation for the side switch (next to the volume switch). Move the switch and your screen orientation will stay in whatever setup you were in at the time of the locking.

Good luck.

OP
J

jjon99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went in to my local Apple "Genius" shop to ask about the lopsided tilt on my iPad, and was told, yep, it's not meant to do that, probably a non-centralised accelerometer, tough luck, nothing can be done, it's not a real problem.

I checked the staff member's iPad and it was the same. I didn't have the presence of mind to sample as many of the store iPads as I could to find how many were the same - I'll do that next time.

I'm left feeling I've got a defective iPad, however slight the defect, whether due to a bad batch of components, or due to poor quality control. Tarnishes the perfectionist Apple image I previously had in mind. How does the defect affect game playing? Is this why I can never get a high score on any action game? (Probably not.)

Most reactions

Latest posts