What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for my first iPad

Glockman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am looking to get my first iPad
I am not sure which one to get?
I can get iPad 4 for 429 or iPad air for 440
Both are 32g. I will be watching movies
Surfing the net.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you can afford the extra money, get the iPad Air. For that $111 dollars you will getting at least one year more of top notch compatibility with updates than you will with the iPad 4. I'm guessing at least two years of full updates for the iPad Air, with three to four of years of perfectly usable.

And it's lighter, significantly lighter, which will make it less of a pain to hold for long periods of time.

If the budget is tight, you don't mind the idea of replacing it a bit earlier, and you don't care about the weight, then go for the iPad 4.

Either device will satisfy you stated needs. Then again, pretty much every iPad model being sold will watch movies and surf the net.

I'd avoid the iPad 2 and original iPad Mini for personal use. Business with an investment in 30 pin connectors and special uses cases may still find them attractive, but individuals are likely to outgrow them in a year or less.

Disclaimer: I want an iPad Air so bad I can taste it, and am probably going to have to wait at least two more months before I can afford the model I want. This may be influencing my opinion. :D

Every time I've bought a lesser model or product because I was too impatient I've ended up regretting it.

Last edited:
OP
G

Glockman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I think i will go with the ipad4 as i already have an airbender case
For the ipad 4

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the mini 2 is $100 less at any capacity than the Air. I think that is a better option than the 4 and you can get a case for as little as $15. The screen is not as small as many people seem to think.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you can afford the extra money, get the iPad Air. For that $111 dollars you will getting at least one year more of top notch compatibility with updates than you will with the iPad 4. I'm guessing at least two years of full updates for the iPad Air, with three to four of years of perfectly usable. And it's lighter, significantly lighter, which will make it less of a pain to hold for long periods of time. If the budget is tight, you don't mind the idea of replacing it a bit earlier, and you don't care about the weight, then go for the iPad 4. Either device will satisfy you stated needs. Then again, pretty much every iPad model being sold will watch movies and surf the net. I'd avoid the iPad 2 and original iPad Mini for personal use. Business with an investment in 30 pin connectors and special uses cases may still find them attractive, but individuals are likely to outgrow them in a year or less. Disclaimer: I want an iPad Air so bad I can taste it, and am probably going to have to wait at least two more months before I can afford the model I want. This may be influencing my opinion. :D Every time I've bought a lesser model or product because I was too impatient I've ended up regretting it.

Our resident iPad genius and sage strikes again!! ;)

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, 4% cash back at ebates w Walmart in addition to whatever sales they have going on. ;)

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts