What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kobo adding books

Hedonismrobot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. Very new user trying to add books to my kobo app. I used iTunes to add 200+ books to iBooks. Not sure if they are drm free or not as most are epubs from file sharing sites. But I'm having trouble finding Amy information as to add books in kobo, I've used feed books to add one but do I need a file viewer to access my books on iPad then 'open with kobo'.?-thanks -matt

And:

What apps access VAR folder? I'm hoping I can locate my ebooks on there and transfer them from folders ( downloads to kobo/kobo to iBooks etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello there-be patient as you wait for others to see your post. As you are waiting, it may be worth trying the search tool to see if there are answers there.

Also: Welcome to the iPadForum! This forum is loaded with invaluable information which contain topics including: General Discussion of the iPad, iPad Operating System, iPad App Store, Accessories, and Ipad for Business and Education.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country. See here:Regional iPad Groups

If you have not already done so, please take a moment to download the iPad Manual User Guide iOS 5. This is extremely helpful if you are new to the iPad world.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Finally, please take the time to read the Forum Rules:
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Best Wishes and Enjoy!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there. Very new user trying to add books to my kobo app. I used iTunes to add 200+ books to iBooks. Not sure if they are drm free or not as most are epubs from file sharing sites. But I'm having trouble finding Amy information as to add books in kobo, I've used feed books to add one but do I need a file viewer to access my books on iPad then 'open with kobo'.?-thanks -matt

And:

What apps access VAR folder? I'm hoping I can locate my ebooks on there and transfer them from folders ( downloads to kobo/kobo to iBooks etc)

Have you tried adding the books directly to the Kobo app while your iPad is hooked up to iTunes? I don't use the app, so I don't know if it shows up in iTunes...

If those books have any type of DRM (Digital Rights Management) coding on them, they will only work for the particular e-reading app for which they were designed (e.g. Kobo for Kobo epubs, iBooks for Apple, Kindle for Amazon, etc.). So, you'll have to use the app for which it was released.

There is no "Open In..." function in iBooks. The only thing you can do from within iBooks is to e-mail PDFs (you can't e-mail e-books ... unless they're PDFs). Essentially, once the book is in iBooks, you can only use iBooks to view it - there's no getting it out of iBooks from within your iPad.

Yes, you could find them if you went to the iBooks directory in the [Cydia tweak] iFile. But, Apple encrypts books, as they encrypt songs - which makes it very hard to find a specific book. But, if you want to do it that way, the iFile address for iBooks is var/mobile/Media/Books.

Ultimately, for your non-DRM files, I'd recommend you either use a cloud-storage service (such as Dropbox) or a file management app (like Goodreader). Then, you can use the "Open In..." function from within that app to, hopefully, open the e-books in the Kobo app.

Hope this helps. Holler back if you need more clarification.

Marilyn

OP
Hedonismrobot

Hedonismrobot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I ended up just downloading the book again. It's freeware and past it's copyright. I then used izip to open book from KOBO. Since the download came with a mobi and an ePub I had a choice between iBooks and kobo.
It would be really nice if the apps could sync and have the same library but I know that's out of the question. Nevertheless I could as you mentioned put all my ebooks in a Dropbox or cloud then open with kobo, thanks for the help -----Matt

Most reactions

Latest posts