What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle book applications or ibooks?

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
I love to read and have had a Kindle since they were released. I will be transfering my books that I have yet to read over to my Ipad2 (don't know how yet--any tips on how to do this will be appreciated).

For the future which application is more user friendly? Which has more free books? Have you found the prices to be similair for purchased books or is there a significant difference?

I have had multiple surgeries for carpal tunnel and am looking forward to the larger screen and not clicking to turn pages.

Also how do you get podcasts, Handel on the law, to download without going into Itunes weekly to get Saturday's show each week.

Thank you. Can't wait for Thursday.

OP
D

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
Thank you. Wasn't quite sure where to post my question.

The puppy is a she, 4.5 months old, named Snickers. She is a rare breed puppy called a Biewer eminating from the German Yorkshire lines that I breed,sell, and show in rare breed show venues. We are working on AKC acceptance which is probably a few years away yet.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You "buy" the free Kindle app, sign on under your regular Kindle-Amazon account and your books end up in your archives. Then you click each book you want to load onto your iPad. It's easy. If I can do it, anyone can. That's for books you already own. Buying new books is straightforward, you'll probably find.

The book prices and selection are the same, because you're buying Kindle books. With iPad, you can load a bunch of other book apps and get freebies from more sources. Search the app store for "books," if you're not sure which to start with. I like Kindle, Stanza, Bluefire (for Adobe books, for instance) and Nook. There are others, of course. I like Stanza for public domain books. You can read library books on the Overdrive app, if your library is linked.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You don't have to choose. Use the Kindle app to read your old books. Try some of the others that Kaykaykay suggested. Get iBooks and explore. Buy books where you can get them cheapest.

One of the nice things about iBooks is that you can read the common ePub format as well as PDF's. The Kindle app won't do that, so even if you never buy from the iBooks Store, the app is still handy to have for free books in those formats.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
You "buy" the free Kindle app, sign on under your regular Kindle-Amazon account and your books end up in your archives. Then you click each book you want to load onto your iPad. It's easy. If I can do it, anyone can. That's for books you already own. Buying new books is straightforward, you'll probably find.

Can anyone tell me why only 68 books appear in my ipad kindle app, when there are 190 items in my kindle archives? It appears that only the ones I buy for the ipad show up in the ipad app archives and I'd like to have access to the entire archives on the ipad.

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

Can anyone tell me why only 68 books appear in my ipad kindle app, when there are 190 items in my kindle archives? It appears that only the ones I buy for the ipad show up in the ipad app archives and I'd like to have access to the entire archives on the ipad.

A couple thoughts.

The Amazon store will list more than books. If you have audible books, magazines, or newspapers those will be listed, but since they can't be loaded into the Kindle app they probably are not listed there.

Any book downloaded to the Kindle app is removed from the Archive page, so your total on the Kindle would be the Home screen plus the Archive screen. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to count the downloaded books.

If that does not account for everything, I've got no idea.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
emm, if you side loaded books onto Kindle, those will not transfer to iPad without separate hoop-jumping. By side loading, I mean you might have loaded books onto your Kindle that didn't originate as Kindle books sold or given away free by Amazon. As far as I know, the iPad Kindle app doesn't allow side loading, but there are other ways to side load books, onto the iBooks app, for example.

If you need help side loading books onto iPad, I suggest you start a new thread about that, so you will get step-by-step instructions if needed. I have not bothered side loading any books onto iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

By the way, you have tried step one, clicking on each book in your archive, to load them onto iPad, right? You have to do that with each individual book. Your entire archive will not load automatically onto the iPad's Kindle app. Archive just gives you a list of books that you already owned. You go to the archive, click on a title, then it will give a percentage sign as each book loads. It takes less than a minute usually to retrieve a book from archive.

Additional obvious question: You are using the same account to buy books for iPad, as you were on Kindle, right? Because your archives won't be linked from two separate accounts.

If you are using one account and are stuck, you might try going to your Amazon "Manage my Kindle" page and clicking on the drop down menus and individually sending books to your iPad. That will work only with books that originated from Amazon, not side loaded books.

bdegrande

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Kindle app for books when possible because it makes the books available on more devices, I can read them not only on the iPad, but Mac, Pc, Android, etc.

I use Downcast for podcasts, it can download directly without going through iTunes. There are plenty of good alternatives - Instacast, Podfisher, PocketCasts. but Downcast now has a good native iPad interface. I don't like Podcaster, which I have also used, nearly as much. many of the podcasts I listen to were not in its directory.

Reaction score
My favorite part of Kindl is whisper sync. When I open any book on any device it syncs to the last place I was at on the last device I used it on.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Most reactions

Latest posts