What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Spiffballing here...

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just wondering, no more... Question: How can a bad person gain unauthorized access to another computer without having *physical access* to that other computer and knowing the login details?

I believe it’s done; haven’t a clue how.

And no, I’m not up to any monkey business. If I was, I doubt this would be the place to be. Thanks.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One of the ways spammers access your computer is by screen sharing, where people are tricked into agreeing to this. Hackers have sophisticated ways to scan networks, view open ports, special software to crack passwords and so one. Ethical hacking is a fascinating subject.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Jupiter7. “Ethical hacking...” :)

twerppoet, thank you for the link!! :) Not surprised Wiki has it... I guess cyber security is going to be a necessity in future, not ‘Net, like before

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You’re welcome.

Computer security is no more or less a concern now than it was in the past. It’s just most people don’t realize it until they’ve been bit. It has gotten a bit more complicated along with the increased complications of the internet. That’s not meant to inspire panic or paranoia. Like most of life’s hazards it’s best handled by a bit of education, some reasonable precautions, and a plan about what to do if you find yourself compromised.

Not all that different than dealing with hose fires. Education: how fire behaves and how you should behave in a fire. Precaution: not doing stupid stuff with flammables, instal smoke alarms. Plan: how to leave, and where to meet.

In the case of computer security you can think of it this way. Education: what you are doing now. Precaution: Good passwords, 2-step authentication, backups. Plan: How to recover backups if needed, support contacts/services, second way to access internet and services.

But I’m not an expert. There are plenty of educational sites that specialize in prevention and planing. They will cover it in better detail and clarity than I have.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Computer security is no more or less a concern now than it was in the past

Well, twerppoet, I agree with *all* you say excepting what is quoted above... My reason being that the ‘Net has more scams, etc., which makes it more of a concern/security issue than it was 20-25 years ago. Check the stats yourself, see how many computers, tech, etc., have been compromised compared to the same time frame a year or 10 ago.

I hope I worded that properly.

I’m just saying tech’s getting less and less fun/interesting and more of a pain than it was... JMHO.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You’re welcome. I have done a few courses on ethical hacking, where the good guys try to penetrate systems with the owners' permission to show up vulnerabilities. It is a good way to learn about security.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I read about the ‘good guys’ working for corporations, looking for vulnerabilities. The best of them are likely ex-hackers.

And now there’s courses on ethical hacking?? Sure it must be a good way to learn about security. Good? Sure. Fun? Up to you :)

Most reactions

Latest posts