What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking and Security

I

Icarus75

Hi, I am new here and I am considering jailbreaking my iPad 2.

I know about jailbreaking methods, and I see the benefits to it, but I also understand that jailbreaking would make my iPad less secure.

So, my question is, would it be possible to secure my iPad to some extent, after jailbreaking, and if so, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst at a technical level, jailbreaking your device does make it "less secure", there are only a couple of things you really need to be careful of, which are basically common sense...

1) If you choose to install OpenSSH, you should change the default password. Otherwise, everyone knows it is root / alpine.
Our guide here explains how - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ides/28213-how-use-secure-shell-ssh-ipad.html

2) Pay attention to what you are installing on the device and where it comes from. Nothing in the default sources for software provided in Cydia (the jailbreak "app store") is known to be malicious or cause any kind of threat. However, it is an Open system, and if you choose to add new software sources (repositiries) which may or may not be trustworthy, then make sure you understand what you are doing and why. It is just simply common sense. If it appears in Cydia by default then you can be fairly certain it is safe.

The jailbreaking community doesn't tollerate security threats and has a history of quickly shutting them down if they appear.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts